Information for Parents

Contact CAPS

Gengras Student Union, Room 313
Monday through Friday 8:30-4:30 p.m.

University of Hartford’s Office of Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS) provides students with a wide range of short-term counseling and psychological services. These services include individual counseling, couples counseling, and group counseling.

Is there a fee for CAPS services?

Services are available to all full-time undergraduate students at no additional cost. If your son or daughter is not a full-time student, they may still use our services for a nominal fee. Please read The Source (PDF) or call the Bursar's Office at 860.768.4999 for the current fee.

What if a student needs help after hours?

If a student is in crisis after hours, you should contact Public Safety at 860.768.7777. If a student lives off campus, you should call 911.

Can I talk to my son or daughter's therapist?

Therapists are permitted to listen to any information you provide. However, without written permission from your son or daughter, a therapist will not be able to speak with you about his or her treatment or confirm whether or not your child is coming to CAPS.

What information is confidential?

CAPS adheres to professional ethical standards and all state and federal laws regarding confidentiality. This means that once a student has contacted our office, CAPS is not permitted to disclose any information (including whether or not s/he has made an appointment with our office) without written consent from the student. The primary exception to this rule is if the student is in imminent danger of causing harm to self or others.