RFA Application Information
RFAs are residential student leaders who work for Facilities. RFAs help with residence hall preparation and shutdown, provide direct service to maintenance issues during and after business hours (including but not limited to replacing light bulbs, replacing shades, unclogging drains, and boarding up broken windows), and routinely inspect residential areas of campus. We look for energetic, motivated, and dedicated students to help us fulfill the RFA mission of assisting Facilities towards improving the living and working environment for students and staff through a professional hands-on approach by student leaders.
RFA Position Description (2020 - 2021)
The Resident Facility Assistant (RFA) team consists of 18 RFAs and serves as a live-in extension of Facilities. With a focus of providing consistent, quality service to all members of the campus community, RFAs work primarily with the Service Delivery Center to perform and/or coordinate maintenance, investigations, inspections, and follow-ups. Staff members serve the entire campus during the course of their general responsibilities and while on duty.
- Participate in the processes of residence hall preparation and shut-down
- Conduct routine and ad-hoc facility inspections
- Provide direct service to maintenance issues where practical; including but not limited to unclogging toilets and replacing light bulbs
- Develop, plan and implement Facilities outreach efforts including literature, events, and programs
- Provide follow-up as needed to residents affected by facility issues
- Provide various levels of advocacy, representation and management to all facilities and grounds on behalf of Facilities
- Identify and report facility related issues and actively work toward solutions
- Serve as members of a ‘crisis response group’, on behalf of Facilities, to assist where needed in the event of a serious facilities related emergency or during large scale snow events
- Work with other campus departments to ensure common visions and goals for campus facilities
- Other duties as assigned
Key Job Requirements
- Maintain knowledge of applicable University and departmental policies, procedures and standards
- Be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate (minimum of 12 credits) student and/or continuing a program from undergraduate studies (Physical Therapy, etc.)
- Obtain sophomore, junior, or senior standing by the start of the Fall 2020 semester. Applicants must also have completed at least one full semester at the University of Hartford by the start of the Fall 2020 semester.
- Live full time in the residence halls while employed as an RFA
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress throughout the course of employment and maintain a cumulative (and period) GPA of 2.3/4.0
- Be financially eligible for Room and Board as compensation (defined by an individual’s University financial aid package)
- Have and maintain good standing with the Office of Residential Life
- Be found not responsible for significant or repeated violations of the University Code of Student Conduct
- Be available for employment for a full academic year
- Be able to effectively work in a team environment with diverse groups
- Be able to perform physical requirements as outlined below:
- Typically standing and/or walking
- Requires repeated reaching by extending hand(s) and/or arm(s) in any direction
- Climbing ladders
- Intermittently sitting, standing, stooping
- Typically crawling and/or kneeling
- Typically pushing and/or pulling
- Lifting up to 25 lbs
- Using equipment requiring high dexterity
- Regular exposure to moving machinery and/or vehicles.
- Works on slippery or uneven surfaces.
Availability (All Dates Subject to Change)
- Participate in fall staff training and residence hall preparation beginning Thursday, August 6th, 2020 at 9:00 am* through Monday, August 24th, 2020 (*Returning staff members begin training on Wednesday August 5th, 2020 at 9:00 am)
- Participate in residence hall winter shut-down through Thursday, December 17th, 2020 at 1 pm
- Participate in winter training and residence hall preparation beginning Friday, January 15th, 2021 at 9:00am through Tuesday, January 19th, 2021
- Participate in residence hall spring shut-down through 5 pm the Monday after Spring 2021 Commencement (Monday May 17th 2021)
- Be available for 20 hours per week of project/building/inspection work
Terms and Compensation
- RFA positions are contracted for one academic year, renewable upon mutual agreement of the staff member and supervisor(s)
- Compensation includes a stipend equal to room and board costs* during the period of employment (amount varies depending upon the assigned area)
- Room and board are also provided during periods of training
*RFA compensation is considered part of the student's Financial Aid package and can impact the amount of financial aid or work study received. For more information about how the RFA position will impact your financial aid contact the Financial Aid office directly.
The University is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EECO) and Affirmative Action (AA) employer, Male (M), Female (F), Disabled (D), Veteran (V). Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.