Face Coverings

All students, employees, and visitors are required to wear face coverings when in public.

Face coverings are critical to stopping the spread of COVID-19. Committing to the Let's Keep Hawks Healthy Pledge empowers you to remind community members that they must wear masks.

For behavior that is belligerent or simply too large of an issue for you to manage, please use LiveSafe to report the violation. Go to the app, click “Report Tips,” and then “COVID-19 Concerns.” These tips can be anonymous, but should be submitted in a timely fashion or they may not be able to be addressed.

FAQs for Staff and Student Workers

Ask the student to put on a face covering for a safe campus environment in support of the UHart Face Coverings policy.  

If the student claims that they have a medical or religious exemption and thus do not have to wear a face covering, talk with the student to inform them of their available options to comply with the face covering directive, pursue a disability-related accommodation or pursue a religious exception.

Disability-related accommodation

If the student wishes to pursue a disability-related accommodation, ask them to leave the area and direct them to Access-Ability Services, who will engage the student in the interactive process and identify reasonable accommodations.

If the student does not want to pursue a disability-related accommodation, ask the student to put on a face covering in support of the UHart Face Covering’s Policy.

Sample Language

"We are a community within close proximity of each other, working together to keep each other safe. Can you put your face covering on please? If you don't have one, here is one (if one has an extra un-used mask) or you pick one up at several locations around campus."

Gengras Student Union

  • 1st floor SGA office (GSU room 120)
  • GSU 2nd floor (information window)
  • GSU 3rd floor: GSU room 307, Dean of Students Office

Academic Dean’s and Departments

  • Barney School of Business: Auerbach Hall, Room 306
  • Nursing: Auerbach Hall, Room 288
  • Biology: BC, Room 257
  • Math: Dana Hall, Room 220 B
  • Rehab Sciences Office: Dana Hall 410
  • Psychology: East Hall, Room 203
  • Lincoln Theater: Box Office
  • ITS Help Desk: Computer Center (Administration) Room 117
  • Engineering Nurse and Health Professions (ENHP): Hillyer Hall, room 252
  • Hartford Art School: V Room 103C
  • Arts and Sciences: Hillyer Hall, Room 200
  • Hillyer College: Hillyer Hall, Hillyer Hall Room 114
  • Hartt School of Music:  Fuller Hall Operations Window, 2nd Floor
  • Hartt HPAC: HPAC Public Safety Station
  • College of Engineering Technology and Architecture (CETA): United Technologies Hall (UT): 203 and 209

Public Safety (main lobby area)

Public Safety Satellite Office (ground floor of B Complex, across from Hawk Hall)

Residential Life main officee (ground floor Barnard Hall)

Library Circulation Desk

If the student refuses, you can ask the student to leave the program, the event, or your office. Following the incident, you should follow up with an email to the student reiterating the face coverings requirement and that compliance is expected in the future. You should also let the student know that if this happens again, the student will be asked to leave and you will submit a referral to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution for review as a possible violation of the Student Code of Conduct.

There may be instances in which a student forgets to wear their face covering more than one time. It is up to one’s discretion to determine if the student is unwilling to comply or simply forgot and needs a subsequent reminder. At any point, you are encouraged to have an educational conversation if the student repeatedly forgets but willfully complies when reminded.

If a subsequent offense occurs, you should ask the student to leave the program, event, or your area and then submit a referral to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution. If the information in the report suggests a possible violation of the Student Conduct Code, that office will follow the procedures outlined within the Student Code of Conduct.  As the complainant, it is important to note that you will not know the outcome of a Student Code of Conduct proceeding related to a public health-related COVID-19 alleged policy violation.  If found responsible through the student code of conduct hearing process, there is a range of sanctions possible including both educational and/or punitive in nature.  See Guidelines on How To Address Student Behavior for more information about sanctioning.

If the student claims they have an accommodation, ask to see the letter/email from the student from Access-Ability Services indicating such.  The student should provide a screen shot/ copy of the letter to the staff member.  If the student cannot provide such documentation, the student can either:

1. Put on a face covering.

2. Leave the area and call/video call

3. Come back with their letter (depending on the type of service they are seeking in that office).


If the student states they want to have an accommodation provide the student the contact information for Access-Ability Services (860.768.4312), who will engage the student in the interactive process and explore alternative accommodations.  Pending the outcome from that process, the student shall either put on a face covering or leave the area and call/video call with the office.