Legal Name Change
To request a legal name change, please complete the Request Legal Name Change Form (PDF) and provide the documentation listed on the form. Name change forms and documentation can be brought to the Center for Student Success located in GSU 230 or scanned and emailed to CSS@hartford.edu.
If you are an employee (faculty, staff, or student), federal regulations require employers to validate that the employee's name on record exactly matches the name which appears on the individual's social security card to ensure proper tax reporting. Thus, in order to reflect your name change on your personnel and payroll records, you must present your social security card which reflects your new name to Human Resources Development in CC121.
Preferred First Name Change
Faculty, staff and students are able to update a preferred first name, which will be visible in Self-Service, Compass, StarRez, rosters and Blackboard for faculty, staff and students. Pronouns and gender identity will also be available for updating. Please note that no action is needed if you do not wish to add or update this information.
- Login to Self-Service
- Click on the “Personal Information tab”
- Click on View/Update Personal Information
- Login using your single-sign on, which is the same as your email information (if you’re not currently logged in to SSO).
- Click the Personal Information button from the landing page.
- To make any updates click on the “edit” or “add new” on the right side of each section.
- Once change is made, click update.
For an updated Hawk ID card, please visit the ITS helpdesk located in the Computer Center, room 117. You can also send an email to email@example.com or call 860-768-4829. There is no fee to obtain a new Hawk ID, that reflects the preferred name change.
For students, if you would like your preferred first name to show as your email name, please contact Registrar@hartford.edu to request the change. For faculty and staff, if you would like your preferred first name to show as your email name, please contact Helpdesk@hartford.edu.
Please note that this will not change your email address.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can any member of the University of Hartford community set a preferred name?
- Any student, faculty or staff member may have a preferred first name.
Can my preferred first name be whatever I want?
- Yes, but the University reserves the right to remove a preferred first name if it seems inappropriate, and will contact you with any questions or concerns.
As an incoming student, if I submitted my preferred name on the Common Application, do I need to request a preferred first name again?
- Yes, after you are offered admission to the University, you will have the opportunity to enter a preferred first name into Self-Service.
DisclaimerThe University will honor your chosen first name to the fullest extent possible regardless of what legal documents indicate your name is. There are certain limited contexts where we will be obligated to use your legal name, even if it does not comport to your chosen name – specifically, where the University is providing information to governmental agencies for certain reporting purposes, such as applications for federal financial aid, and payroll tax records, if you decide to work at the University. An official transcript will also remain with your legal name. If you have legally changed your name, we will be able to use a single name in all records. If you have not legally changed your name, we will have to maintain information about your legal name for these limited legal compliance purposes. Should this be the case, we will strive to keep your legal but non-chosen name as confidential as possible, limited to those offices with a reasonable need to know.