Residential Life Guest Policy
To keep our community safe, we have a strict guest policy in effect this year.
This policy was updated on Oct. 16, 2020
Until further notice, the following guest restrictions are in place for all housing units at the University of Hartford:
- Residential students shall only enter the building to which they are assigned.
- Commuters and other non-residents are not allowed in the residence halls.
- The restrictions shall not apply to members of Residential Life, Facilities, Public Safety, or an authorized University official engaged in University business.
Hawk Hall and the Neighborhoods
- As of Friday, Oct. 16, residents of these buildings will be allowed to have one guest per room at one time, as long as that guest lives on the same floor.
- Roommates must agree ahead of time to allow a guest, each time there is a guest.
- Residents and their guests must wear masks and maintain social distance.
Suites and Apartments
- No visitors are permitted to enter apartments or suites.
- Guests are not permitted in any on-campus housing unit at any time. Only the resident(s) assigned to a room, suite or apartment may be in the housing unit.
- Overnight guests are not permitted at any time.
- Gatherings of any size within campus housing units will not be permitted at any time. Additionally, large indoor gatherings or ‘parties’ will not be permitted at any time, as these types of events may significantly increase the spread of COVID-19 and could lead to the University needing to close campus and move all courses online.
This policy supersedes all guest and visitor policies, as well as room occupancy policies published prior to March 2020.
During announced times by Residential Life (i.e. Early Drop Off, Fall Move-In), household members, or those individuals with whom students have been living with for at least 14 days prior to coming to campus, and who are not experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms, may be allowed in housing units for predetermined periods of time. A mask or face-covering must be worn and social distancing must be observed at all times when anyone other than the resident(s) of the housing unit are present.
The Residential Life Guest Policy is in The Source (Student Handbook). Notification of this policy via email is considered each student’s ‘warning’ of this policy. Verbal warnings or reminders will be given along with referrals to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution for first-time alleged violations. Students found to have failed to comply with the Guest Policy will be subject to educational and punitive sanctions which may include:
- Removal from campus housing, without receipt of any housing or dining refund;
- Banned from campus with the opportunity to continue available courses online only; and/or
- Expelled from the University.
The University reserves the right to impose additional educational and/or punitive sanctions for violations of this Policy.
This policy will be reviewed on a regular basis taking into consideration, but not limited to, the on-campus environmental conditions, and updates from local, state, and CDC-related guidance concerning COVID-19.
An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place. COVID-19 is an extremely contagious disease that can lead to severe illness and death. According to the CDC, older adults and those with underlying medical conditions, are especially vulnerable. By visiting UHart you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19.