Information for Parents and Guardians

Contact CAPS

Gengras Student Union, Room 313
Monday through Friday 8:30-4:30 p.m.

University of Hartford’s Office of Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS) provides students with short-term counseling/therapy services. These services mainly include group and individual therapy.

Is there a fee for CAPS services?

Services are available to all full-time undergraduate students at no additional cost. If your student is not enrolled full-time, they may still use our services but may have to pay a nominal fee. Please contact CAPS for details.

What if my Student Needs Help After Hours?

If your student is experiencing a psychological emergency on campus after hours, you should contact Public Safety at 860.768.7777. If your student is off campus, you should call 911.

Can I talk to my student’s therapist?

Therapists may listen to any information you provide. However, without written permission from your student, a therapist will not be able to speak with you about their treatment or confirm whether or not your student is coming to CAPS.

What information is confidential?

CAPS adheres to professional ethical standards and all state and federal laws regarding confidentiality. This means that once a student has contacted our office, CAPS is not permitted to disclose any information (including whether or not s/he has made an appointment with our office) without written consent from the student. At times, however, therapist may need to breach confidentiality if your student presents at imminent risk to harming or killing themselves or others.