UHart Staff Collaborate with City Councilwoman to Help Students Impacted by Fire
When Hartford Councilwoman Shirley Surgeon learned that four University of Hartford students were left homeless by a fire in Hartford over July Fourth Weekend, she didn’t think twice about helping.
“As a mother and a grandmother, I wanted to make sure everyone was safe,” Surgeon said. “It reminded me of when my daughter was away at college. I would have wanted an adult to reach out and keep her safe.”
After visiting the scene of the fire, the councilwoman took the students into her home to warm them up. She notified the mayor's office, who then reached out to UHart for assistance. Teams from Residential Life, Public Safety, Aramark, and the Division of Student Success collaborated to help the students gather their belongings and move into residence halls and provided food and toiletries within two hours of the fire.
Spencer Notick, UHart Student
“I would just like to thank the councilwoman for her kindness and hospitality in our hour of need.”
Surgeon’s efforts didn’t end there. She invited the students to a cookout at her home the following day, where they played games and made s'mores with her grandson. And she has already told them she is coming to their graduation in the spring.
No one was hurt in the fire and the Red Cross is assisting others who were impacted.