New State Law Concerning Cannabis

September 15, 2021
Submitted By: Healthy Hawks

This past July 1, 2021 Connecticut changed state law concerning cannabis use. Some helpful information is found below to further educate the campus community regarding cannabis use.

  • Federal Law Ramifications –  the federal government considers marijuana a controlled substance.  
  • Prohibited on Campus – The University of Hartford prohibits the possession, use, distribution, manufacture, distribution, possession with intent to sell and/or sale of marijuana 
  • University Controlled Substance (Drug) Policy applies to students on and off campus.
  • Age Limitations – The state of Connecticut only permits adults age twenty-one (21) or older to possess or use marijuana recreationally, given certain restrictions. Adults who possess more than the legal limits and minors under the age of twenty-one (21) can face criminal charges. It is a crime for anyone who has possession or controls any home or private property to knowingly or recklessly permit anyone under the age of twenty-one (21) to possess marijuana or fail to make reasonable efforts to stop their possession. 
  • Sale Limitations – Only a marijuana establishment can sell marijuana. 
  • Impairment – Students may not come to campus impaired. 
  • Transporting Marijuana – It is illegal to transport marijuana across any state or national borders. 
  • Driving - It is illegal to inhale, ingest or operate a motor vehicle under the influence of marijuana. 
  • Use in Public – Smoking marijuana is still prohibited by state law in various public places including retail stores, restaurants, hotel rooms, health care institutions and schools. 
  • Medical Marijuana Card Use Prohibited – The prohibited use of cannabis on campus includes those who have medical marijuana cards.
  • Covering Smoke Detectors  a student found ‘responsible’ for violating the student code of conduct involving a covered smoke detector in a residence hall will lose housing on the second such occurrence/violation.    

For questions about the University's Controlled Substance Policy please contact Dr. David Stender in the Dean of Students office at

For students who are having concerns or trouble with cannabis use contact CAPS for support at  Inquiries are confidential.