Institutional Review Board
The Institutional Review Board (IRB) at the University of Hartford is charged with the ethical review and oversight of research that involves human subjects. The complementary concerns of the IRB are to protect human subjects from harm and to support the advancement of ethics in science.
We strongly encourage you to review the information on this site as it may answer many of your questions regarding human subjects research.
Training and CITI Certification
Every researcher submitting a research proposal to the IRB must provide CITI certification of human subjects training for themselves and any other researchers participating. This includes student researchers, faculty supervising student research, and researchers from other institutions.
The IRB is on summer recess in July and August” then add Schedule for 2023-2024.
Institutional Review Board (IRB) members are:
- Karen Breda, Associate Professor, Nursing, College of Education, Nursing and Health Professions
- Wednesday Bushong, Assistant Professor of Psychology, College of Arts and Sciences
- EB Caron, Assistant Professor of Psychology, College of Arts and Sciences
- Stephen Charry, Clinical/Applied Assistant Professor of Prosthetics and Orthotics, College of ENHP
- Robert Dryden, Ph.D., Professor, Hillyer College
- Duffy Felmlee, Co-Chair, Associate Professor, College of ENHP
- Harvey Gilmore, Associate Professor, Barney School of Business
- Sarah Hart, Ph.D., Assistant Professor, College of ENHP
- Thilagha Jagaiah, Assistant Professor of Special Education, College of Education, Nursing and Health Professions
- Sarah Ketay, Associate Professor of Psychology, College of Arts and Sciences
- Branislav Kovacic, Ph.D., Associate Professor, School of Communication, College of Arts and Sciences
- Solaleh Miar, Assistant Professor, Civil, Environmental, and Biomedical Engineering, College of Engineering, Technology, and Architecture
- Akane Mori, Associate Professor, The Hartt School
- Jessica Nicklin, Co-Chair, Assistant Provost for Graduate Studies and Research, Associate Professor
Administration, Provost, Psychology
- Leila Rosa, Assistant Professor, Department of Education Studies, Rhode Island College
- Karla Loya-Suarez, Associate Professor, Educational Leadership, College of Education, Nursing and Health Professions
- Sheetal Sood, Associate Dean for Assessment, Faculty Development and Special Projects, College of Education, Nursing and Health Professions
- Xin Ye, Associate Professor of Physical Therapy, College of Education, Nursing and Health Professions
2023-2024 Meeting Schedule
- August 25, 2023
- September 15, 2023
- October 20, 2023
- November 17, 2023
- December 15, 2023
- January 19, 2024
- February 16, 2024
- March 15, 2024
- April 19, 2024
- May 17, 2024
All full reviews must be submitted two weeks prior the scheduled meeting.
Exempt and Expedited Reviews typically take 4 weeks and are on a rolling basis. Full reviews do not occur in the summer when committee members are off contract.