The following is the typical sequence of an Institutional Review Board (IRB) research proposal review:
- The PI reviews the IRB website, including reading the IRB manual and downloading appropriate forms and templates for completion.
- The PI completes the Proposal Transmittal Form and required supporting documents available below.
- Any individual acting as a researcher in the project must complete CITI training and show evidence of CITI training on the protection of human subjects in research.
- All forms and documents should be submitted to the IRB chair. Electronic submission of scanned documents, including relevant signatures, is preferred. Please send all required files to email@example.com. A single hard copy is also accepted, mailed to the IRB Chair. The IRB no longer requires BOTH hard copy and electronic submission of forms.
- The IRB Chair receives the proposal, verifies completeness, and determines the level of IRB review required.
- Proposals requiring expedited or exempt status are reviewed on a rolling basis, as submitted.
- Proposals requiring full committee review will be reviewed during the monthly IRB meeting (submissions must be received at least 2 weeks prior to the meeting in which they are reviewed).
- After review, the IRB Chair will provide the PI with an approval letter or a list of requests for clarification or modification, if necessary.
- Following approval, research that spans longer than one year (approval to publication) may require annual review and completion of an Extension Request Form for continuation.
- Upon completion of the research (completion of analysis of identifiable data), the Closure Request Form should be submitted, indicating that the research is complete.
- Proposal Transmittal Form
- Addendum/Modification Form
- Adverse Events Reporting Form
- Extension or Closure Request Form
- Consent for Participation in a Research Study
- Parental Permission Form for Participation in a Research Study
- Parental Notification Form Regarding Participation in a Research
- Reopening plan for the Univeristy of Hartford in phase 3 – fall 2020
- IRB Manual for Researchers
- Guidelines for Access to University Email for Research Purposes
- Partnership Agreement with PsychForums
All inquiries and questions about the IRB research review process should be directed to Sundeep Muppidi, IRB Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org or 860.768.5054.