Degree Works

Please Note

Degree Works is not intended to replace an academic advising session or college catalog information. In addition, a Degree Works audit should not be considered as a substitute for an official academic transcript or official notification of completion of degree requirements for conferral purposes.

Degree Works is a web-based advising and degree evaluation tool designed to help students and faculty navigate curriculum requirements. It provides real-time counseling capabilities and up-to-date curriculum information to help students and advisors facilitate meaningful conversations about registration, academic planning, and progress toward degree completion.

Students who entered the University of Hartford beginning the 2016-2017 catalog year and onward are able to utilize this tool.

About Degree Works

A Degree Works evaluation is a review of all courses, past, current, and “planned” that provides an overview on completed and outstanding requirements to fulfill a degree, major, minor, concentration, and/or credit and GPA.

Degree Works is not the same thing as a transcript. The evaluation outlines your progress toward meeting your program of study requirements. You can request a transcript through Parchment should you need a copy of your academic coursework and grades.

Yes, Degree Works is accessed through a secure login by using your Hawk Mail username and password.

Faculty advisors, assigned college evaluators and students can access Degree Works. As a student, you will only be able to view your own degree evaluation and be able to consult with advisor(s).

Note: Degree evaluations are not available for those pursuing a degree or certificate through University Studies. Please consult with your advisor to determine your degree progress. 

You can access Degree Works via the Student Self-Service Portal. Once you have logged in and are under the “Student” tab. You will be able to click the “Student Academic Records” link and then find “Degree Works Evaluation”  in the next set of options. You will be redirected to the Degree Works site using SSO where your evaluation will auto-populate.

No, you cannot register for classes in Degree Works. Degree Works is intended to capture a snapshot of courses in-progress, planned and in academic history. Registration will still occur through the student self-service portal or via a paper registration form.

Yes, in consultation with degree evaluators you are able to set up a plan that shows the courses you need to register for in each semester until graduation.

Yes, once grades have been processed at the end of a semester, they are visible in Degree Works. Any courses that you have registered for but have not yet completed will appear with a grade of “IP” for in-progress and the number of credits in parentheses.

You will be able to see a list of your academic history if you click on the “Class History” link at the top. You will have a printable list of all of the courses you have taken.

You should consult with your academic advisor or assigned college evaluator(s) to ensure that your degree evaluation and curriculum information is accurate. You cannot make an update to your major, minor or concentration via the Change of Major form without consulting with these individuals first. The information will then be updated accordingly.

Using the Degree Evaluation

Your degree evaluation will display your progress towards graduation requirements. You will be able to see all in-progress courses as well as courses you have previously taken. These courses will then reflect under the major, minor or concentration requirements that are being met by the courses. Because some of your courses will reflect as in progress courses, the requirements will be met upon satisfactory completion of courses in progress.

Your degree evaluation will outline the courses that are still needed to meet requirements. This will be indicated with a circled outlined in red under the sections where you still have outstanding requirements. You may discuss the information further with the guidance of an academic advisor.

Yes, transfer courses will reflect on your degree evaluation. They will reflect with a letter grade followed by “.”. If you earned an A in the course you transferred from another institution, it will be indicated with “A.”. It will also reflect the name of the college or university that it was accepted from. If you are missing any transfer courses you will need to speak with the Transfer Admission Office, along with your academic advisor and/or college evaluator.  As long as the course has a University of Hartford equivalent course and is designated as such, these courses will satisfy degree requirements without any additional steps.

Yes, you can view this information by clicking the links of the listed courses under outstanding requirements. It will lead you to the available course sections for the current and/or upcoming semester. The information reflected includes the course description, pre-requisites required, and course availability. Please note, you will not be able to register for the course from there.

The courses will appear under the “Insufficient” category block on your degree evaluation. “W” will be listed as the grade for the course.

Yes, you will be able to access your academic progress under the degree requirements for your program, which will also reflect your overall GPA. If you are concerned about your progress within your major, you will also be able to review your GPA under your major requirements. If you believe there are any issues, please consult with an academic advisor or college evaluator.

"What If"

The ‘What If” function on your degree evaluation allows you to hypothetically, change your major, minor, and/or concentration. This new evaluation will show you the coursework required for the major, minor, and/or concentration and what courses you have completed to satisfy those requirements. In addition to this, you will see what courses are still left to complete for the program.

No, the ‘What If” tool is intended for information purposes only. A “What If” Degree Evaluation header will be listed at the top of the degree evaluation whenever you use the ‘What If’ tool to access your progress in another major, minor, or concentration.

No, your advisor will not have this information available when they run your degree evaluation. Only you can see the ‘What If’ scenario you have run.

You will not be able to save the ‘What If’ scenario in Degree Works. However, you can save multiple ‘What If’ plans and have the capability to save the information as a PDF file to your computer, flash drive, or other storage device. You will have to refer to the PDF or run a new ‘What If’ scenario if you want to reference the information again. You also have the capability of printing the ‘What If’ evaluation by clicking the “Print” button at the top.

If you would like to change your major, minor, and/or concentration after you have reviewed your ‘What If’ scenario, you need to consult with an advisor and complete a Change of Major form.  Forms are available on the Registrar website or at the office of your degree evaluator. Once you collect all the necessary approvals or signatures, you then submit the form to your college evaluator for processing.


No one else has access to see the plans you create through the Planner tool. If you want to share it with your advisor, you will have to print or save the document as a PDF for later use.

As long as you entered under the 2016-2017 catalog or onward, you are able to utilize the Planner tool to help ensure that you stay on track for meeting degree requirements within your final semesters at the university.

As an undeclared major, you will need to work closely with your advisor to declare a major. Per university requirements, a student must declare a major once they have earned at least 60 credits.

Not at this time. However, you may review the academic catalog for the planned cycle of courses. It is advised that you consult with an advisor for courses in your major.

No, use of the Planner does not guarantee that a course will be offered.

No, it is always best to review the plan with your advisor to ensure that you are taking the courses in the correct sequence. You can also review course descriptions in the catalog to confirm if any of the courses you have input in your plan have any prerequisites.

Before taking a course at another institution, you should consult with your college evaluator and/or the Transfer Admission Office to ensure that the credits will be approved for your requirements. Once approved, you may enter the course in your planner to ensure you are on track.

Yes, you can make more than one plan. However, you must mark one of them as your primary plan.

You should actively be updating your plan as changes occur. If you drop a course, receive unsatisfactory grades in a course, or make any other changes that affect your degree process, you will indicate this in the Planner. Once a semester ends and your grades on your record, you will no longer be able to update the information for that term.

Transfer Courses

No, the appropriate courses that meet specific requirements will fall under the category and will have a green check mark to indicate you have satisfied the requirement with a transfer course. However, some courses will come in as electives that may or may not satisfy major and general education requirements. These courses will fall into an “unused courses” category and will only count towards your credit requirement, not major or general education requirements.

Yes, you can consult with your academic advisor to determine the appropriate steps to having a transfer course reviewed. If it is approved, your record will be updated, and the course will satisfy the intended requirement. There are a few steps to this process so you will have to work closely with your advisor during this process.

Transfer credits will be factored into meeting credit requirements for your degree. However, the grades you earned will not impact your GPA at the University of Hartford. If you believe the grade of a transfer course is being factored in to your GPA, you should consult with your academic advisor to determine if it is being included and the appropriate steps to have it updated.

Please note: if you are trying to take a course at another institution to improve your GPA at the University of Hartford, you will only receive the credits for the course and the grade for the course will not improve your university GPA.

You will first want to ensure that you have submitted your official college transcripts to the Transfer Admission Office from any institution you have earned credits from. If the credits are still not populating on your degree evaluation after the information has been updated in the University system, you will want to discuss this with your academic advisor.


Yes, the college evaluator will use Degree Works to confirm your graduation status. Should any information not be reflected accurately, please consult with your academic advisor to ensure all grades are entered accordingly, appropriate sub-waivers are noted on your student record, and no other inaccuracies exist.

Typically, other colleges request an official college transcript or diploma to confirm that you have graduated. Your Degree Works evaluation is intended to be used as a tool to help ensure that you stay on track for graduation, not to confirm degree completion for verification purposes.

Your college evaluator will review your requirements for graduation to determine if you are eligible. You want to be sure that you have submitted a degree application to your college evaluator’s office to ensure that your record will be reviewed for graduation. Your credits alone will not be an indication to your college evaluator that you are ready to be reviewed for graduation. You can find out graduation application deadlines through your college evaluator.

You cannot assume that you are all set until your college evaluator confirms to you after a thorough review of your degree evaluation.