Student Holds

There are a number of different types of holds that can be placed on your record. Some examples are:

  • Financial holds from the Bursar’s Office for various reasons such as past-due balances, loan counseling, an unpaid degree application fee, or fines
  • Immunization holds from Health Services when no record of vaccinations has been provided
  • Address holds for mail returned by the post office that was addressed to the student’s local or permanent address
  • Dean of Students holds for a student on a medical leave of absence (the student must provide a letter from a doctor before returning to classes)
  • Admission hold if tuition deposit has not been paid

The above holds will prevent you from registering until the hold is released or you obtain an administrator’s conditional permission to register. (Keep in mind that this is not a complete list.)

In accordance with the University’s published policy, Bursar holds will also prevent the Registrar’s Office from sending out your academic transcript and prevent you from obtaining your diploma upon graduation.

If you have been academically dismissed from the University, you will not be allowed to register for classes. If you have been removed from degree candidacy, you will only be able to register as a part-time, non-matriculated student up to a total of 15 credits (no more than 11 credits in a semester).

To discuss holds that have been placed on your record, contact the following departments:

  • Financial holds—Center for Student Success or Bursar’s Office
  • Immunization holds—Health Services
  • Address holds—Center for Student Success or Registrar’s Office
  • Dean of Students holds—Office of Student Affairs
  • Admission holds—Admission and Student Financial Aid