College of Arts and Sciences
BS in Biology
If you are planning a career in research or plan to go on to graduate, medical, dental school then the Bachelor of Science in Biology program is recommended for you.
About the Major
The curriculum includes a broad approach to biology and offers a comprehensive background in mathematics and the natural sciences.
About the Minor
We offer a minor in biology that can be paired with another major to help give you an edge when seeking employment. If you choose to minor in biology, you must complete a minimum of 18 biology credits approved by the department chair and apply for a minor in biology not later than the end of your sophomore year. The curriculum is planned to meet your individual academic and career goals.
Degree RequirementsA total of 62-64 credits are required and includes a combination of biology, chemistry, mathematics, and physics courses.
You must complete 24 credits of biology, 12 credits of upper-level biology, 8 credits of chemistry, and 6 to 7 credits of mathematics courses. Examples of core courses include:
- Introductory Biology I and II
- Molecular Cell Biology
- College Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Calculus I and II
- Algebra-Based Physics I and II
Bachelor of Science in Biology students will be able to:
- Describe and apply basic biological information and concepts.
- Conduct original biological research and report results orally and in writing to scientific audiences.
- Demonstrate higher order conceptual understanding of biology, critical thinking and analytical/problem solving skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of biology laboratory techniques and instrumentation that is standard in the discipline.
- Apply ethical principles of the discipline in regard to human and animal subjects, environmental protection, use of sources, and collaboration with colleagues.
Bachelor of Science in Biology with Pre-Pharmacy Option
In conjunction with the University of Saint Joseph Pharmacy School, UHart offers a Bachelor's degree in Biology and a Doctor of Pharmacy degree in six years. If you are interested in this program, you should discuss this option with your advisor and Department Chair and Associate Professor of Biology Aime Levesque.
Once you are accepted into the Pharmacy Program at Saint Joseph’s, you complete requirements for the BS in Biology at Saint Joseph’s during your senior year and begin your pharmacy coursework. Learn more about the PharmD curriculum.
Tanaya Williams ‘19, Biology
“Choosing biology as my major has opened up so many doors for me. Through this experience, I was directed to research opportunities, internships, and volunteer work. I recently finished an internship at a local dental clinic where I was able to get a feel for the field of dentistry.”