Barney School of Business
Advance your career by earning two degrees from the Barney School of Business: the Master of Science in Accounting and Taxation, and the Master of Business Administration.
About the Program
Apply to the Dual MSAT/MBA degree program to earn both your Master of Science in Accounting and Taxation Master of Business Administration. This is the perfect program for those without a business undergraduate degree who wish to fulfill the requirements to become a CPA or for those working in a corporate environment who would benefit from having a specialized degree in accounting and an MBA.
Academic RequirementsFor more information, and to see a complete list of degree requirements, visit the Course Catalog.
You will take our core accounting classes and choose an accounting track: Financial and Assurance Services or Taxation. You will also complete core MBA classes, and may consider adding a concentration. For full class descriptions, please visit our course catalog.
Applicants must have an undergraduate degree in accounting or take the equivalent accounting courses. These courses can be taken as part of the degree program or as an accounting certificate prior to enrolling in the MSAT/MBA. Many students choose to do the accounting certificate first, as it may be used to grant a GMAT waiver into the dual degree program.
- An on-line application
- A non-refundable application fee of $50.00 for domestic applicants
- Official transcripts for all collegiate level coursework
- A letter of intent as specified in the application form
- Current resume
- Official results of the GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) forwarded to the University of Hartford using school code XBB-NR -73.
- Please contact the program director before applying to check on-campus course availability. Currently most classes run online.
- Transcript evaluation as prepared by World Education Services WE S (www.wes.org). The evaluation should at a minimum indicate that the student has completed the equivalent of a four-year bachelor’s degree at U.S. regionally accredited institution. The $50 application fee is waived to defray the cost of the evaluation.
- Official TOEFL iBT or IELTS scores forwarded to the University of Hartford using school code 3436. Applicants who take the TOEFL iBT are required to attain an overall score of 85, while scoring at least 20 in each of the four parts. Applicants who take the IEL TS are required to attain an overall score of 7.0, while scoring at least 6.5 in each of the four sections
- Guarantor’s Statement. The cost to study for one year (2 semesters) within the University of Hartford’s MSAT Program is $27,770. This figure does include an estimate for living expenses. As part of the application, an international student MUST prove that he/she has this amount of money through a bank statement. This statement is also used to issue the student an I-20 form.
- GMAT score – the target score is 500 or higher.
GMAT waivers are available for domestic applicants who meet any of the following criteria:
- Passed the CPA, CMA, or state Bar Exam
- Hold a master’s degree or higher in any discipline from an appropriately accredited institution
Hold an undergraduate degree from an AACSB school achieving at least a 3.3 GPA overall and in their major
- Hold an accounting certificate from the Barney School of Business achieving at least a 3.3 GPA overall
- Experienced-based GMAT waivers are granted only in exceptional cases to domestic applicants with 5-7 years of U.S. based financial analytical experience above the entry level. The experience-based waiver request will be reviewed on a case by case basis.