College of Education, Nursing and Health Professions
BS in Health Sciences, Pre-Chiropractic
The combined Bachelor of Science/Doctor of Chiropractic (BS/DC) program between the University of Hartford and New York Chiropractic College (NYCC) provides a unique opportunity for students with career goals in chiropractic medicine. The accelerated program typically allows for the completion of the BS/DC degrees in a six-and-one-third-year period.
About the Major
The BS/DC program is for the academically outstanding student with strong, realistic motivation toward the chiropractic profession. Initial study at the University of Hartford allows you to complete the general education and basic science requirements for the BS in health science degree and the prerequisites necessary for professional study. The BS degree is awarded by the University of Hartford following the successful completion of the first year of graduate study. Students who are not in the accelerated program typically complete the BS degree in four years at the University of Hartford.
The chiropractic program requires three and one-third years of combined academic and clinical training leading to the DC degree, which is a prerequisite for licensure eligibility in the United States. NYCC provides students with an accredited three-and-one-third-year professional chiropractic curriculum.
Admission to the University of Hartford does not guarantee admission to the graduate program. You must complete an application for the graduate program after the second year of study at UHart.
Prior to attendance at the New York Chiropractic College, students must complete a minimum of 100 credits. A sample of courses is listed below. View the full curriculum using the link to the course catalog.
Pre-chiropractic courses include:
Human Anatomy and Physiology
Molecular Cell Biology
In addition, students complete at least 6 credits of health science electives and 3 credits of Premedical Professions Studies.
General education courses include:
Introduction to Healthcare Professions
Business and Professional Communication
Introduction to Psychology
Applicants to the Health Science Pre-Chiropractic articulation program between the University of Hartford and New York Chiropractic College (NYCC) must be academically outstanding students with strong, realistic motivation toward the chiropractic profession.
Acceptance to the program normally requires a student to
- Maintain at least a B average overall and in the sciences during the first three years of high school;
- Rank in the upper 20 percent of the student's high school class;
- Obtain a combined score of at least 1000 (Verbal and Math) on the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT).
To be eligible for admission to New York Chiropractic College, a student must meet the following criteria:
- Send a letter of intent to NYCC upon matriculation at the University of Hartford.
- Complete at least 90 credits of coursework, including all necessary prerequisites, at the University of Hartford by the end of the third year at UHart.
- Achieve a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.25 overall, with a minimum grade of C in all required courses.
- Submit an application for admission to NYCC at the beginning of the final year of pre-professional studies at UHart.
- Obtain a recommendation for admission to NYCC from the health science, pre-chiropractic advisor.
- Complete all application procedures including a satisfactory interview with members of the Admissions Committee at NYCC.
If you are applying as a transfer student, you will submit your application and documentation to our Office of Admission. The staff are knowledgeable about credit articulation agreements that we have with other institutions and work closely with the College of Education, Nursing and Health Professions to provide transfer students with the information they need to make a smooth transition.
Program Director, Health Sciences