Application Process

Are you ready to explore the world? Apply today.


Semester Study Abroad

  • Fall programs—Mar. 15
  • Spring programs—Oct. 15

Short-term Study Abroad

  • Winter programs—Oct. 1
  • Spring programs—Nov. 1
  • Summer programs—Feb. 15

We know that it can be overwhelming to study abroad, but don't worry, we are here to help make it easy. If you have any questions you can always contact our office.

Are you eligible to study abroad?

In order to study off-campus, students must meet the following requirements:

  • Must have completed their freshmen year*

  • Must be in residence (meaning taking classes at UHart - you don't have to be living on campus) the semester prior to going abroad

  • Be in good academic standing: cumulative 2.5 GPA or higher**

  • Be in good student conduct: cannot currently be under any sanctions

  • Be in good financial standing: cannot have any current registration holds or bursar restrictions

*first years cannot participate on semester programs, but can participate on some of the UHart faculty-led short-term programs. 

**students with a GPA below 2.5 may be able to petition to go abroad; contact the International Center for more details.

Application Process

Step 1: Study Abroad 101 Session

Students must attend a Study Abroad 101 session.  The video is in the process of being updated, so, for now, please attend the session in-person or email to schedule a one-on-one session.  Once you’ve attended the 101 session , you can then schedule an appointment with the International Center.

Step 2: Submit your Application
The International Center is partnering with Via TRM, a study abroad platform, for our application process.  You will need to create a free account on the platform.  From there, you’ll be able to see the programs available, and can begin your UHart application through Via TRM.  Once you’ve chosen a program, you will click on that program, and begin the application.  You must select a program; you cannot begin a UHart application without having chosen your program.

Step 3: Complete Supplemental Application Forms 

After you’ve submitted your application through Via TRM, you will be asked to submit your Passport Information and your completed Study Abroad Course Approvals through Via TRM. These will be due a few weeks after the application deadline and are not considered part of the initial application but are required prior to you going abroad. 

In addition to completing the UHart application, you will also need to complete application materials for your chosen program provider or host institution.  The program applications usually include their own application, personal statement, an official transcript, and possibly one or more letters of recommendation (depending on the program).  You can order the transcript through your Self-Service account.  You should check with your program to see if they will allow an electronic copy of the official transcript or an unofficial copy, or if you have to submit  paper copy of the unofficial transcript.  It takes a few business days to process, so please don’t wait to order a transcript.  Those application materials are specific to each program, so it’s important to double check with your program provider or host institution (if going abroad on an exchange or direct enroll program). 

UHart students and non-UHart students

Step 1: Get More Information

Before you apply to a UHart Faculty-Led Short-Term program, please:

  • Please visit our new program site, create your free account, and explore our short-term faculty-led programs. 
  • Attend one of the short-term programs information sessions
  • Speak with the faculty member leading the program or the International Center to have your questions answered

Step 2: Fill out an application and pay deposit

Please submit the following forms to be considered for UHart Faculty-Led Short-Term study abroad if you are a UHart student:

  • Complete the Online Application listed under the specific short-term program on ViaTRM

  • Pay the $1000 deposit

Payment Instructions

Payments can be made directly on campus at the Center for Student Success (CSS, formerly SASC) or online through the Self-Service Center’s CASHNet system. The International Center cannot process payment. If you wish to make your payment on campus, The University of Hartford accepts cash, personal checks, money orders, or traveler's checks at CSS.  Please make checks payable to the University of Hartford.  When paying your deposit at CSS, ensure that your payment is applied to "Off-Campus Study Deposit."

If you wish to make your payment online, the University of Hartford accepts E-check and credit card payments online through the CASHNet site on the Self-Service Center Account. Accepted credit cards are Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express.  There is no fee to make payment using the e-check, but credit card payments are made using CASHNet SmartPay, and will apply a service charge of 2.75% of the transaction amount.  When making a payment online through the Self-Service Center, login to the system:

  • Click the Pay Your Bill CASHNet link
  • Select the "Make Payment" link at the top of the page
  • Choose "Off-Campus Study Abroad Deposit" link
  • Enter the dollar amount you will be paying and add to cart.  Follow the remaining instructions.
  • Deposit will post to the student account


If you are a university student but not from UHart, please fill out the following:


Step 3: Complete University Forms

Once you have been accepted, please submit the following forms:

Partners/Family Members

Using the forms above, we will create an ID for you so you can log in to your University Hartford account to pay your $1,000 deposit.

How to Apply

  • You will work with Transfer Admissions to complete their Permit for Transfer Credit form to get your courses approved for transfer credits

  • You will apply directly to the program of your choice, and do not need to apply to the UHart International Center

  • Once you've been accepted by the program provider, you will pay the program provider directly for all program-related costs (you may be able to secure financial aid by working with the UHart Financial Aid Office).

Ready to explore the world?