Teaching with Technology
Used effectively and selectively, instructional technology can enhance teaching and learning.
Instructional technology is much more than Blackboard, and much more than learning the button-pushing for any tool. It's about enhancing teaching and learning.
FCLD offers pedagogical and how-to assistance for enhancing face-to-face and distance education using several types of instructional technologies such as:
- Incorporating multimedia into teaching and learning.
- Web 2.0 tools like Dropbox for cloud storage, and Jing for screen-capturing.
- Taking advantage of mobile technologies like smartphones, tablets, and e-readers.
- Lecture capture (Kaltura) and conferencing tools (Blackboard Collaborate, WebEx, Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Skype for Business).
- Taking advantage of open education resources on the Internet such as Merlot.
- Presentation software such as PowerPoint.
Tools and Applications
Web Conferencing Tools Comparison
- Quick Guide for Faculty Getting Started with WebEx: Meeting Center (PDF)
- Detailed Guide for Faculty Getting Started with WebEx: Meeting Center (PDF)
- Connect via WebEx (PDF)
- WebEx Training (Quick Video)
- Webex Attendance Reports (Quick Video)
Blackboard Collaborate UltraWritten Instructions
- Instructor's Guide to Blackboard Collaborate (PDF)
- Participant's Guide to Blackboard Collaborate (PDF)
- Blackboard Collaborate for Online Instruction (recorded Webinar 8/20/2020)
- Blackboard Collaborate Ultra for Moderators/Instructors (help.blackboard.com)
- Blackboard Collaborate Ultra for Participants (help.blackboard.com)
- Blackboard Collaborate for Android Users
- Blackboard Collaborate for iOS Users
- Blackboard Collaborate Tour for Students/Participants (PPT)
- How do I share PowerPoint in Collaborate on Two Monitors?
- How do I find my Collaborate Recordings?
- Share Audio in Collaborate (PC)
- Share Audio in Collaborate (MAC)
- Getting Started with Kaltura (Webinar)
- Creating a Narrated PowerPoint (PDF)
- Creating Audience Focused Presentations (PDF)
- Strategies for Using PowerPoint in the Classroom (PDF)
- Principles of Multimedia Learning (PDF)
- Using PowerPoint for Academic Posters from Dr. Fran Altvater (PDF)
- Using Visual Design to Engage Students, PowerPoint Circle featuring Natacha Poggio, 2008 (Video)