How to Apply
There are a few ways students can apply for admission to Hartford Art School.
- Students can apply online.
- Students can also apply in person via a paper application. This can be done by either meeting an admission coordinator at an event including high school visits and portfolio days or by coming to Hartford Art School directly.
- Students can also apply to the University of Hartford via the Common Application and requesting to major in art.
Admission to the BFA program at the Hartford Art School is based on a variety of criteria, with all factors in the applicant’s background considered. Applicants must demonstrate:
- Proficiency in the visual arts through a portfolio
- Academic achievement, as shown on official transcripts from accredited high schools and colleges
- SAT or ACT scores are optional
You will need to submit your official high school transcripts in addition to your application and portfolio.
Ideally, all application materials should submitted no later than February 15th for optimum consideration. However, we have a rolling admission policy and there are no official deadlines.
Please note: For those intending to apply for financial aid, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be filed by February 15th, regardless of application filing or status.
All candidates are required to submit a portfolio as part of the application process. The portfolio should contain 10-15 examples of your best work from the last two years. Remember, this is about you and what you make. Simply submit your best work in any media and we are here to help. We accept all forms of art that best demonstrates your ability. Refer to our portfolio review page for information about the process.