The Hartt School
When you study trombone at The Hartt School, you will receive comprehensive musical training.
About the Major
You will join a tight-knit community of artists who are perfecting their craft. Through personal attention and mentorship from Hartt’s accomplished faculty members, you will develop innovative ideas and career ready skills.
Admission and Audition Requirements
An audition is required for admission to the trombone studio. In order to schedule an audition, the University of Hartford application as well as the Hartt supplemental application must be completed. Learn more about the undergraduate or graduate application process.
The Hartt School conducts live auditions and interviews for dance applicants on campus as well as in select cities around the United States. Applicants who reside more than 300 miles away from campus are eligible to submit a recorded audition.
- A Bordogni (Rochut) vocalise
- A technical étude from Arban, Blazhevich, Kahila, Kopprasch, Tyrell, etc.
- Any standard solo (Barat, Andante and Allegro; David, Concertino; Guilmant, Morceau Symphonique; Lebedev, Concerto; etc.)
- Standard orchestral excerpts
- Two contrasting études showing the applicant's level of technical and musical advancement.
- A Standard sonata (e.g. Hindemith, Castérède, Ewazen, etc.)
- A Concerto or other virtuoso solo piece
- A minimum of four standard orchestral excerpts
Our trombone faculty members are experts in their fields.
Haim Avitsur, has premiered over 80 new pieces, encompassing a broad range of styles from solo trombone to chamber music and orchestra. He is a member of the New York Brass Arts Trio, made up of three virtuoso soloists who came together to revolutionize the brass trio repertoire and hailed as the first brass group to play with the sensitivity and musicality of a string quartet.
Rob Earhart, Bachelor of Music, Current Master of Music Student , 2018
Hartt’s emphasis on chamber music has been indispensable in preparing me for [musical] opportunities.