The Hartt School
The Hartt trumpet studio is a tight-knit community of artists who will inspire you, guide you, and share a musical journey with you.
Admission and Audition Requirements
The Hartt School will not be hosting live auditions for 2021 applicants due to safety concerns related to the COVID-19 pandemic. All applicants will be required to submit a recorded audition.
Learn more about the undergraduate or graduate application process.
- One complete étude or movement of a standard solo work that shows lyrical playing
- One complete étude or movement of a standard solo work that shows technical playing
- One or two contrasting orchestral excerpts
Please note: We have students who come to Hartt from across the United States and around the world. That is one of the things that makes a Hartt education so special. Some students are accepted and arrive having had extensive private study on their instruments. Others have had less experience (and perhaps less conventional training), but their natural abilities and great love of music allow them to make remarkable strides in a short period of time because of the expertise of our faculty.
Our requirements are sometimes quite specific to give applicants a sense of where they should be to enter a high-level conservatory environment. However, we encourage applicants to reach out to our faculty members to discuss audition repertoire. It may be that what you have prepared will suffice. Our primary goal is to identify potential, and if we feel that the potential is there, it is then our responsibility to provide each and every student with the tools to be successful.
If you would like to be in touch with a member of the faculty to discuss your audition repertoire, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Two contrasting éétudes showing the applicant's level of technical and musical advancement.
- One movement from a standard solo selected from, or comparable to, works such as: A. Honegger's Intrada, Halsey Stevens' Sonata.
- Three standard orchestral excerpts:
- Moussorsky - Ravel Pictures at an Exhibition, Promenade
- Respighi - Pines of Rome Offstage Solo
- Stravinsky - Petrouskia Ballerina Dance
Associate Professor of Trumpet; Trumpet Faculty
Former Baltimore Symphony Orchestra member Phil Snedecor appears frequently as guest principal with the Pittsburgh Ballet Orchestra and the Louisville Orchestra, and as guest trumpeter for the Albany Symphony, Boston Pops and Boston Symphony. He is principal trumpet of the Harrisburg (PA) Symphony Orchestra and co-founder and Artistic Director of the Washington Symphonic Brass. Phil has written a series of brass etude books that are required repertoire at many colleges, conservatories and professional auditions.
James McAloon Jr., Bachelor of Music, Trumpet Performance, 2018
“Ivey always been told to surround myself with musicians that'll push me to be my best. That’s been my exact experience here at Hartt.