The Women’s Advancement Initiative, (formerly WELFund), is a distinctive program at the University of Hartford that uniquely positions women for success through education and leadership programs, research and scholarship opportunities, and career connections and experiences.
Built on the heritage of Hartford College for Women, The Women’s Advancement Initiative challenges, encourages, and empowers students, faculty, staff, and alumnae. The Women’s Advancement Initiative is supported and sustained by a community of women and men who believe that advancing the potential of women is a personal and a collective priority.
15 Years of Education, Opportunity, and Impact
The Women's Advancement Initiative's 15th Anniversary Celebration Video
The Women's Advancement Initiative is proud to continue the legacy of Hartford College for Women.
The year 2021 marks the 15th anniversary of The Women’s Advancement Initiative. In 2006, it was established to benefit women and celebrate the legacy of Hartford College for Women. Today, our organization offers leadership training, personal and professional development workshops, and resilience and opportunity coaching for women students, faculty, and staff. The design of our signature program, LEAD (Leadership Education and Development), was inspired by the way students at Hartford College for Women were supported and challenged.
We proudly celebrate 15 years of providing education, creating opportunities, and impacting the lives of women served through our programs.
The Women’s Advancement Initiative helps women become successful through education and leadership programs such as LEAD and the Dorothy Goodwin Scholars program.
The Women’s Advancement Initiative is proud to celebrate and continue the legacy of Hartford College for Women. Hartford College for Women Trustees and University of Hartford Regents came together to create a new focus and opportunity in women’s education – one right for the times – an education in leadership skills for women where they could be challenged and supported in the tradition of Hartford College.
Are you interested in reading about our heritage, success stories, and programming? Read our annual W magazine.
Save the Date!
HCW Classes of 1970, 1971, and 1972 50th Reunion
Saturday, October 15, 2022
Reconnect with classmates, revisit the Hartford College for Women campus and enjoy a continental breakfast hosted by students in The Women's Advancement Initiative's LEAD (Leadership Education and Development) program.
- The Women's Advancement Initiative's Annual Symposium: March 31, 2022 at 5:30 P.M.
- The Women’s Advancement Initiative’s Virtual Annual Symposium: April 1, 2021 at 5:30 p.m.
- The Women's Advancement Initiative's 15th Anniversary Celebration: November 30, 2021 at 5:30 PM
Support The Women's Advancement Initiative
Your gifts to The Women's Advancement Initiative help us to:
- Build on the values instilled at Hartford College for Women
- Provide students with opportunities for leadership training, personal development, career connections and mentoring
- Bring lessons to life with fun, fast-paced, interactive activities that promote teamwork, problem solving and clear communication
- Support scholarly and innovative research projects by students with faculty mentors
- Send students to national conferences
- Inspire the next generation of women to be leaders