The Harrison Libraries have amended various borrowing policies for the 2020-2021 academic year in order to decrease contact between staff and users, and to allow users to take materials home while they take online classes. See below for details.
Other policies and procedures have changed as well. When you visit the Libraries, please follow all posted guidelines. See our COVID FAQ for details.
In accordance with university policy, alumni and guests are currently not authorized to access campus and therefore cannot visit the Libraries. However, we may be able to lend some materials to your local library via Interlibrary Loan, and we may be able to provide other services electronically. Contact your local library for Interlibrary Loan requests, or contact a Harrison Libraries staff member for other questions.
All University of Hartford students, faculty, and staff may borrow materials from the Harrison Libraries, including books, printed music, audio-visual materials, equipment, and more.
Alumni with a valid alumni ID card and guests who purchase a borrower card ($50 per year) may borrow books and printed music from the libraries. All other materials are available for in-house use. See more about library privileges and policies for alumni and guests.
How long can I borrow a library item?
Due to COVID-19, Spring 2021 semester loan periods for most items have been extended to May 14, 2021. This includes most books and scores. Limited circulation materials (e.g. course reserves, laptops) may have shorter loan periods. See the Mortensen Library or Allen Library borrowing policies for specific loan periods, renewal limits, number of items allowed, and overdue fees.
- All patrons must present a valid University ID card to borrow from the Harrison Libraries.
- Circulating items are due on the date indicated in My Account, regardless of whether the item bears a date-due stamp or has been stamped with an incorrect date. Patrons are responsible for any items charged to their accounts.
- If an item is not on the shelf, ask to fill out a Missing Item Card at any Circulation Desk to initiate a search; you will be notified when the item is available.
- Please see below for specific policies.
Before the due date, you may be able to renew items online through My Account.
Library materials can also be renewed in person, or by calling the library circulation desk (Mortensen–860.768.4264 or Allen–860.768.4491).
Some restrictions apply.
Official due dates for items checked out can be found online through My Account.
Temporary Policies During COVID-19 Pandemic
We have extended due dates and waived fines for most items checked out or renewed from Spring 2020 through Spring 2021. Limited circulation materials (e.g. course reserves, laptops) and long overdue items may still incur fees. If you cannot renew the items and cannot visit campus to return them in person, please contact the appropriate library staff member to make alternate arrangements:
Mortensen Library materials:
Nick Wharton (firstname.lastname@example.org, 860.768.4403)
Allen Library materials:
Lisa Wollenberg (Lwollenbe@hartford.edu, 860.768.4840)
Overdue item fees are as follows:
- $.10/day for books and scores.
- $.25/day for Allen Library CDs and LPs.
- $1 to $5/hour for limited circulation materials (e.g., reserves, laptops).
The maximum overdue fine for regular circulating items is $10 per item ($15 for CDs, LPs, and hourly loans).
Items overdue by 45 or more days accrue additional fees (see below).
Unresolved or excessive overdue fees may be sent to the bursar for collection at the discretion of the library.
Lost items or items that are 45 days overdue will be billed two additional fees for (1) the cost of replacing the item, and (2) a non-refundable $15 processing fee (covers efforts to retrieve, search for, and replace item).
Fees may be sent to the bursar for collection at the discretion of the library.
If an item is returned, the replacement cost will be removed or refunded (up to one year after the billing date), but the $15 processing fee and the daily/hourly overdue fees will still be assessed.
Failure to return materials may result in blocking or loss of privileges.
Failure to follow Harrison Libraries Policies may result in loss of privileges.
Patrons with $20 or more in unresolved fees will be blocked from checking out and removing materials from the library. (Patrons may still use materials within the library.)
Materials to be used only within the library:
- Allen Library M2/M3 Collection (Collected Works)
- Closed Stacks Materials
- Journals & Periodicals
- Rare books
- Reserve Materials
- Reference Materials
Borrow materials from libraries across the country.
CCALD/CLC Reciprocal Borrowing Program
Due to COVID-19, the CCALD/CLC program has been temporarily suspended.
Borrow materials from other academic libraries in Connecticut.
- University of Hartford students, faculty or staff may request a CCALD borrower's card at the Mortensen Library circulation desk that allows them to check out materials at the other participating institutions. Or you may use this form to apply online.
- Visitors from other participating institutions should obtain their CCALD cards from their own libraries before visiting the University of Hartford Libraries.
Borrowing privileges for University of Hartford students enrolled in courses at other Hartford-area colleges/universities (and vice versa).