Due to COVID-19, the Harrison Libraries (Allen and Mortensen) are closed until further notice. See more information and the latest updates on our hours page.
All University of Hartford students, faculty, and staff may borrow materials from the Harrison Libraries, including books, printed music, audio-visual materials, equipment, and more.
Alumni with a valid alumni ID card and guests who purchase a borrower card ($50 per year) may borrow books and printed music from the libraries. All other materials are available for in-house use. See more about library privileges and policies for alumni and guests.
How long can I borrow a library item?
See the Mortensen Library or Allen Library borrowing policies for specific loan periods, renewal limits, number of items allowed, and overdue fees.
- All patrons must present a valid University ID card to borrow from Harrison Libraries.
- Circulating items are due on the date indicated in My Account, regardless of whether the item bears a date-due stamp or has been stamped with an incorrect date. Patrons are responsible for any items charged to their accounts.
- If an item is not on the shelf, ask to fill out a Missing Item Card at any Circulation Desk to initiate a search; you will be notified when the item is available.
- Please see below for specific policies.
Before the due date, you may be able to renew items online through My Account.
Library materials can also be renewed in person, or by calling the library circulation desk (Mortensen–860.768.4264 or Allen–860.768.4491).
Some restrictions apply.
Official due dates for items checked out can be found online through My Account.
Overdue item fees are as follows:
- $.10/day for books and scores.
- $.25/day for Allen Library CDs and LPs.
- $1 to $5/hour for limited circulation materials (e.g., reserves, laptops).
The maximum overdue fine for regular circulating items is $10 per item ($15 for CDs, LPs, and hourly loans).
Items overdue by 45 or more days accrue additional fees (see below).
Unresolved or excessive overdue fees may be sent to the bursar for collection at the discretion of the library.
Lost items or items that are 45 days overdue will be billed two additional fees for (1) the cost of replacing the item, and (2) a non-refundable $15 processing fee (covers efforts to retrieve, search for, and replace item).
Fees may be sent to the bursar for collection at the discretion of the library.
If an item is returned, the replacement cost will be removed or refunded (up to one year after the billing date), but the $15 processing fee and the daily/hourly overdue fees will still be assessed.
Failure to return materials may result in blocking or loss of privileges.
Failure to follow Harrison Libraries Policies may result in loss of privileges.
Patrons with $20 or more in unresolved fees will be blocked from checking out and removing materials from the library. (Patrons may still use materials within the library.)
Materials to be used only within the library:
- Allen Library M2/M3 Collection (Collected Works)
- Closed Stacks Materials
- Journals & Periodicals
- Rare books
- Reserve Materials
- Reference Materials
Borrow materials from libraries across the country.
CCALD/CLC Reciprocal Borrowing Program
Borrow materials from other academic libraries in Connecticut.
- University of Hartford students, faculty or staff may request a CCALD borrower's card at the Mortensen Library circulation desk that allows them to check out materials at the other participating institutions. Or you may use this form to apply online.
- Visitors from other participating institutions should obtain their CCALD cards from their own libraries before visiting the University of Hartford Libraries.
Borrowing privileges for University of Hartford students enrolled in courses at other Hartford-area colleges/universities (and vice versa).