The Hartt School
When you choose to study piano at Hartt, you will be immersed in a well-rounded, comprehensive course of study designed to prepare students for professional opportunities.
About the Major
Hartt offers you the traditional music offerings, intense private lessons, a strong piano pedagogy component, and experience in accompanying.
- Bachelor of Music
- Undergraduate Diploma
- Master of Music in Piano Performance
- Master of Music in Piano Performance - Pedagogy Emphasis
- Graduate Professional Diploma
- Doctor of Musical Arts
- Artist Diploma
Admission and Audition Requirements
In order to schedule an audition, the University of Hartford application as well as the Hartt Undergradute supplemental application must be completed. Learn more about the undergraduate or graduate application process.
The Hartt School conducts live auditions and interviews for applicants on campus as well as in select cities around the United States. Applicants who reside more than 300 miles away from campus are eligible to submit a recorded audition.
UNDERGRADUATE PERFORMANCE MAJORS
(All works to be performed from memory)
- A prelude & fugue by J.S. Bach
- The first movement from a Classical sonata
- One Romantic work
- One Impressionistic or post-1900 work
ALL OTHER UNDERGRADUATE MAJORS
- Three contrasting works from different historical periods (preferably one piece to be performed from memory)
- A Prelude & Fugue by Bach or a larger scale work by Bach containing a fugue
- A complete Classical Sonata (excluding Beethoven Op. 14, 49, 79)
- A large-scale Romantic work
- An Impressionistic or post-1900 work
The audition repertoire should consist of a complete recital to include the following:
- A large-scale work by Bach or a Prelude and Fugue containing a 4 or 5 voice fugue
- A major Classical sonata
- A major Romantic work
- A major 20th century work
- An étude of virtuosity