The Hartt School
When you choose to study piano at Hartt, you will be immersed in a well-rounded, comprehensive course of study designed to prepare students for professional opportunities.
About the Major
Hartt offers you the traditional music offerings, intense private lessons, a strong piano pedagogy component, and experience in accompanying.
- Bachelor of Music
- Undergraduate Diploma
- Master of Music in Piano Performance
- Master of Music in Piano Performance - Pedagogy Emphasis
- Graduate Professional Diploma
- Doctor of Musical Arts
- Artist Diploma
Admission and Audition Requirements
Please see specific instrument audition requirements by degree below. Learn more about the undergraduate or graduate application process, in-person audition dates, and deadlines.
UNDERGRADUATE PERFORMANCE MAJORS
(All works to be performed from memory)
- One prelude & fugue by J.S. Bach
- The first movement of a Classical sonata
- One Romantic work
- One Impressionistic work or a work written after 1900
ALL OTHER UNDERGRADUATE MAJORS
- Three contrasting works from different historical periods (preferably one piece to be performed from memory)
Please note: We have students who come to Hartt from across the United States and around the world. That is one of the things that makes a Hartt education so special. Some students are accepted and arrive having had extensive private study on their instruments. Others have had less experience (and perhaps less conventional training), but their natural abilities and great love of music allow them to make remarkable strides in a short period of time because of the expertise of our faculty.
Our requirements are sometimes quite specific to give applicants a sense of where they should be to enter a high-level conservatory environment. However, we encourage applicants to reach out to our faculty members to discuss audition repertoire. It may be that what you have prepared will suffice. Our primary goal is to identify potential, and if we feel that the potential is there, it is then our responsibility to provide each and every student with the tools to be successful.
If you would like to be in touch with a member of the faculty to discuss your audition repertoire, please write to email@example.com.
- A Prelude & Fugue by Bach or a larger scale work by Bach containing a fugue
- A complete Classical Sonata (excluding Beethoven Op. 14, 49, 79)
- A large-scale Romantic work
- An Impressionistic or post-1900 work
The audition repertoire should consist of a complete recital to include the following:
- A large-scale work by Bach or a Prelude and Fugue containing a 4 or 5 voice fugue
- A major Classical sonata
- A major Romantic work
- A major 20th century work
- An étude of virtuosity