Hire a Musician
The Hartt School provides paid performing opportunities for our students. We are a resource that facilitates opportunities for Hartt musicians to perform at private and corporate events, fundraisers, weddings, bar/bat mitzvahs and more. The students must be recommended by their studio faculty and must exemplify the highest levels of professionalism. We suggest submitting requests several weeks in advance so that interested students can review your request and then contact you directly. We cannot guarantee that your request will be filled.
The Hartt School does not issue contracts and the students set their own rates. We hope to expose students to a variety of performance experiences and, at the same time, give them the opportunity to earn some extra income. They are expected to uphold highest professional standards but the Hartt School cannot assume responsibility for student misconduct, cancellation, tardiness, etc.
Hartt @ Home
Hartt@Home is a performance outreach initiative of the Julius Hartt Foundation Board of Trustees. The program brings performers from The Hartt School to perform in homes. The goals of Hartt@Home are:
The Hartt Exchange program facilitates collaborative opportunities within local school systems. By inviting some of our talented students or faculty into your school, we wish to establish a free exchange of music and learning from our community to yours! The Hartt Exchange hopes to:
- Share the joys of the performing arts with local schools
- Expose youth to great music making
- Facilitate collaboration between collegiate musicians and grade schools
45-60 Minute Performances
The chamber ensemble of your choice will perform a variety of repertoire, followed by a Q&A session.
Members of the chamber ensemble can work with your students on their current repertoire in a large master class setting or a small group coaching.
The members of the chamber ensemble can attend your regularly scheduled rehearsals and sit in with your students, playing alongside them.
All of the chamber ensembles that participate in the Hartt Exchange have been recommended and approved by the University of Hartford faculty. Different ensembles can be made available based on the needs of your school.
- Wind Quintet: flute, oboe, clarinet, french horn, bassoon
- Saxophone Quartet: soprano sax, alto sax, tenor sax, baritone sax
- Brass Quintet: two trumpets, french horn, trombone, tuba
- Trombone Quartet: three tenor trombones, bass trombone or tuba
- Tuba-Euphonium Quartet: two euphoniums and two tubas OR one euphonium and three tubas
- String Quartet: two violins, viola, cello
- Piano Trio: violin, cello, piano
- Percussion duo
- Percussion ensemble
- Percussion and piano
- Percussion and tuba
- Flute and guitar
Student participants must:
- Be enrolled in classes at the University of Hartford
- Receive a faculty recommendation
- Prepare a 40–50 minute program appropriate for school audiences
- Be comfortable speaking and answering questions about the pieces
- Travel expenses (gas mileage) will be reimbursed by the school
- Promotional materials (banner, brochures, pens, stickers) will be provided to the students to distribute at the performance location(s)
- A student (Danielle Kendall) or faculty representative will accompany the performers
- Participating in one or more of these outreach concerts will fulfill one of the performance requirements for ENS 400/500 for that semester