Housing FAQ

We are here for you!

At the University of Hartford, we want to make your residential experience as smooth as possible. That's why we have gathered a list of frequently asked questions. 

If you don't see your question, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at 

Application Process and Housing Requirement

The University of Hartford has a housing requirement that stipulates all students must live on campus for their first and second years. More information about this policy, including how to apply for an exception can be found here.

New incoming undergraduate students (defined as students who are enrolled at the University for their first semester) must pay a $150 Housing Deposit as part of the New Student Admission Deposit process. This one-time deposit provides incoming residential students access to the Housing Application. The $150 Housing Deposit will be applied as a credit to the resident’s student account. The $150 Housing Deposit is non-refundable for anyone who does not attend the University.


More information regarding residency requirements and exceptions can be found here.

Students apply for medical housing when completing the housing application. 
All requests will be processed by the Dean of Students office.

Returning student medical housing priority deadline: March 11
First-year/transfer student medical housing priority deadline: June 1

Medical housing requests received after the priority deadlines will be reviewed within 10 business days of submission and a medical placement will be considered on a space available basis. Students will be contacted when a placement has been made, which will likely occur over the summer. 

ADA-accessible and Kosher-Shabbat friendly apartments are available by request.

Renters insurance is not required, but we recommend looking into GradGuard's College Renters Insurance while filing out the Housing Application.

Residential Life on Campus

Students who are remaining a student at the University, but would like to withdraw from on-campus housing should email the Office of Residential Life at from their University of Hartford email.

Refunds are effective the date a written request for withdrawal from housing is made to the Office of Residential Life. See the Residential Housing Refund Policy for more information. 


The room change process opens approximately two weeks after the first day of classes of each semester. Students should contact their Resident Director for more information about housing options.  

First-year and transfer students will be able to view other first-year and transfer students' profiles on the Housing Portal and select a roommate beginning May 1. If you do not request a roommate, we will match you based on the profile questions you answer inside your housing application, so make sure you answer them accurately.

For transfer students, we work to house you with other transfer and returning students who have similar majors, interests, and responses to the profile questions inside the housing application. If you have a roommate you would like to request, you and your desired roommate must contact our office at to request to live together.

Yes! Students can preference a single room on the Housing Application. Single rooms are limited and first-year and transfer students are encouraged to apply early if they would like a single room.

You can find the costs of all our housing options here.

A buy-out is when a resident pays an additional fee to not have a roommate in a double-occupancy housing unit. We do not expect to offer room buy-outs for the 2023-24 and 2024-25 academic year due to the limited number of empty spaces in rooms, suites, and apartments.

Each student will get one free lock-out each academic year. After that, students will be charged $25 per lock-out. Students will be asked to provide their student ID, or an alternate form of identification and their room assignment will be verified before being let back in.  

Students who lock themselves out of their space when classes are in session should contact their roommate for assistance or do the following: 

Monday – Thursday  

  • 8:30 a.m. - 8 p.m.: Go to the Office of Residential Life (lower-level, Barnard Hall) 
  • 8 p.m. - 11:30 p.m.: Call the RA on Duty
  • 11:30 p.m. - 8:30 a.m.: Call Non-Emergency Public Safety (860.768.7985)  


  • 8:30 a.m. - 8 p.m.: Go to the Office of Residential Life (lower-level, Barnard Hall) 
  • 8 p.m. - Midnight: Call the RA on Duty  


  • All Day: Call the RA on Duty


  • Midnight - 11:30 p.m.: Call the RA on Duty 
  • 11:30 p.m. - 8:30 a.m.: Call Non-Emergency Public Safety (860.768.7985) 

*Hours are different for breaks and summer.   

Resident Assistants (RAs) are on duty in each residential area Sunday – Thursday, 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 a.m. the following morning, as well as Friday, 7:30 p.m. – Monday at 8:30 a.m.  While on duty RAs complete rounds in each residential area, assist students with lock-outs, and are available to answer questions and address concerns. 


Graduate and professional staff members are on-duty during non-business hours to assist RAs and students.

Please review the lists of items to bring to campus and prohibited items.

Your housing agreement can be viewed at any time on the Housing Application. If you do not have access to the Housing Application, you can view the 2023-2024 Housing Agreement here.

Housing Facilities

If you experience a facilities-related issue in your room/suite/apartment, please report using these links:

Come to the Office of Residential Life (Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 8 p.m. and weekends 1 - 8 p.m.). Students will be asked to provide their student ID, or an alternate form of identification and their room assignment will be verified.  

Students will be issued a spare key(s) and have 72 hours after completing the lost key form to continue to look for their lost key(s). If the key is not found within 72 hours, a lock change will be initiated. The cost of a lock change is the responsibility of the student. Spare keys must be returned when new keys are issued.

Charges (billed to a student's account):

  • Per occurrence in the Complexes: $120
  • Per occurrence in the Village Apartments, Regents Park, Park River: $150