Keeping Hawks Healthy

Read the latest updates on UHart's response to COVID-19:

#renderEmergencyWidget( $widget )

Withdrawal and Refund Policy

Incoming Student Questions

Are you an incoming student with billing, enrollment deposits, tuition, or financial aid questions? Please email

Student Refund Policy

The type of credit on a students’ account will determine the method of refund. Title IV (federal financial aid) credit refunds are processed automatically in accordance with federal regulations. If the credit is not from Title IV funds, the student is required to request a refund in writing through the Center for Student Success (CSS) at using their official University of Hartford e-mail account.

Please note that payments received through the online CASHNet portal, ACH (electronic check) and Credit Card payments, will be refunded to the original payment source.

Refunds are issued to the student. However, if the most recent payment creating the credit balance is from a Federal Parent PLUS loan the refund will be issued to the borrower. Exceptions to this policy are as follows:

  • The parent stated on the MPN that the student can receive the refund
  • The parent notifies CSS ( that the student can receive payment.

All student refunds are processed through BankMobile. Students are encouraged to set up their refund preference with BankMobile to avoid any delay in receiving their refund.


Federal funds cannot be applied to parking permits, fines or other non-institutional charges without proper consent. Therefore, a refund of Title IV money may leave an unpaid balance on the students’ account. Please contact CSS for more information.

Withdrawal Policy

In order to withdraw and receive financial credit, a student must complete a change of program form. Non-attendance does not constitute a withdrawal, and no deduction is made for temporary absence from classes. No refund of any fees or charges is made if a student is suspended, dismissed, or leaves the University without formally withdrawing.

The University assumes various contractual obligations for instruction and other services throughout the year and bases its budget upon full collection of all charges from all registered students. Therefore, the University uses the date the student notifies the Center for Student Success (CSS) or Registrar’s Office in writing to process a tuition credit. Credits are issued in accordance with the following:

As noted above, the withdrawal date used is the date the school is notified, rather than the last day of class attendance. Non-attendance does not constitute withdrawal. The $30 registration fee and parking permit is non-refundable in all cases. Student, course and technology fees are not refundable after the first week of classes and, therefore, are not subject to pro-ration. Students receiving Title IV funds are subject to federal regulatory refund policies. Students with Title IV funds are highly encouraged to contact the Financial Aid Office prior to withdrawal to understand the financial implications of withdrawing after receiving these funds.

Tuition and Residential Housing Charges are based on the following:

Courses of Eight or More weeks Tuition Adjustment
Withdrawal prior to and within the first week of classes 100%
Withdrawal within the second week of classes 60%
Withdrawal within the third week of classes 40%
Withdrawal within the fourth week of classes 20%
Withdrawal after the fourth week of classes 0%

Courses of Four Weeks to Seven Weeks

Courses of Four to Seven Weeks Tuition Adjustment
Withdrawal prior to and within the first week of classes 100%
Withdrawal within the second week of classes 50%
Withdrawal after the second week of classes 0%

Courses of Three Weeks or Less

Courses of Three weeks or less Tuition Adjustment
Withdrawal prior to the start of classes 100%
Withdrawal after the start of classes 0%
* Note: Fees are only credited prior to the start of classes

Financial Delinquency

Any student failing to pay his or her account fees with the University on or before the day it is due may be excluded from all classes, lectures, laboratories, examinations, co-curricular activities, course registration and graduation until such payment is made. The students with a past due balance will not receive transcripts or diplomas. Students are encouraged to contact the Bursar’s Office once their account becomes past due to discuss payment options. A default charge of 1.5% per month on any unpaid balance may be charged until all fees are paid in full. If, in the judgment of the University, it becomes necessary to engage the services of a collection agency or attorney to obtain payment, the student must pay an additional collection fee of 15% of the principle balance plus any attorney fees, reasonable expenses, and other costs incurred, to the maximum extent allowed by Connecticut law.