Spring Writing Contest
The Department of English and Modern languages celebrates excellence in writing each year with the annual Spring Writing Awards, a campus-wide competition. Awards are given in several writing categories, with winners receiving cash awards of up to $1,000 each.
The department also awards numerous scholarships and prizes to outstanding students, many of whom have gone on to exciting careers in publishing, secondary education, higher education, journalism, and business.
Writing Contest Entry Rules
Submissions are typically made by the first week of March.
- You may enter in up to three categories.
- Only electronic submissions will be accepted.
- Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Put your last name in the subject line of your email.
In the body of the email, include the following information:
- Your name, phone number, and address
- The title(s) of each work
- The categories you are entering
- And for what course and instructor, if any, the piece was written
Other important information
- Each submission must be attached to your email as a Microsoft Word file. (One file for each category you are entering, so up to three attachments!)
- Your name must not appear anywhere in the file(s).
- Title each Microsoft Word file attachment by the name of the category, using the following abbreviations:
- Abrahms Poetry
- Nieditz Poetry
- Abrahms Fiction
- Abrahms Drama
- Abrahms Personal Essay
- Doyle American
- Abrahms Other
- Doyle Personal Essay
- Doyle Introductory
- Goldstein Interdisciplinary
If you have questions, email Professor Benjamin Grossberg at email@example.com