Frequently Asked Questions

Below you will find answers to frequently asked questions regarding graduate admission.

Application Questions

If you are locked out of your account due to multiple attempts or you forgot your password, click the "Forgot Your Password?" link on the application login page to reset your password.

No. We will order your transcript and waive the fee for you; this typically takes one business week to be added to your file.

In order to apply to more than one program you will need to submit an application for each program in which you are interested. Since you have shown such great interest in the University of Hartford you will only have to pay the application fee for one application. When submitting the second application choose to pay by check/money order. Next, email to let us know that you have made two applications so that we know it was not done in error.

Additionally, since requirements for each program are different please note that when applying to multiple programs you will need to meet all the requirements listed for each program to which you are applying. Any documents that are transferable from application to application will be transferred; but letters of recommendations and letters of intent need to be directed to the program to which you are applying.

If your transcript is being sent by mail, it can be mailed to:

Graduate Admission, 2nd Floor, Suite 231
University of Hartford
200 Bloomfield Avenue
West Hartford, CT 06117, USA

We also accept official electronic transcripts. If your prior college institution offers an electronic transcript service, you can often save time as opposed to mail. If you request an electronic transcript, please use the school code 3436.

Please note that University of Hartford does not accept unofficial transcripts. The transcript must be sent directly from your prior college institution to University of Hartford in a sealed envelope or through an official electronic source, such as National ClearingHouse, E-Script, or Parchment.

In some cases, graduate transfer credit can be awarded to accepted or conditionally accepted graduate students. Complete the Graduate Transfer Credit Form to petition the transfer of graduate level credits from another college/university to the University of Hartford. Any forms must be completed by the end of your first matriculated semester; forms submitted after the deadline may result in denied transfer credit. Failure to obtain approval may result in not receiving transfer credit.

You are only required to submit GRE/GMAT scores if it is required by the program. Not all of our graduate degree programs require GRE/GMAT scores. Visit the program of study you are interested in for more details.

If your document is too large to upload you may email it to us directly at In your email, be sure to identify your name, application reference number, and what application requirement for which you are submitting your document. If the file is too big to be emailed, we recommend that you provide us access to your file through a secure file link (i.e. google drive or dropbox).

You cannot make changes to your application once your application has been submitted, however you can add supplemental documents via the application portal at Login using the email and password you used when you created the application.

Email to request to make changes to your application. Please include your name and application reference number in your email.

You will be prompted to pay your application fee by credit card in the application portal after you submit your application. To pay by check or money order, please complete our Graduate Application Fee Form and mail the form and payment to our office using the following address:
Graduate Admission, 2nd Floor, Suite 231
University of Hartford
200 Bloomfield Avenue
West Hartford, CT 06117, USA
You can check your status online by logging into the application portal at Use the email address and password you used when you made you application. Alternatively, you can send an email to with a request for an application update. Please include your name and application reference number in the subject of your email.
Most programs will issue a decision within ten business days, however some programs will accept applications until a set deadline, and make decisions after that date. You can contact or the program director for information about the program to which you are applying.

Admitted Student Questions

Please visit New Graduate Student Orientation section of our website to determine your next steps. Here you will also find our easy-to-follow domestic and international graduate students checklists to help you get started.

All accepted student must pay a $300 non-refundable tuition deposit. When you pay the tuition deposit you reserve your spot in the program. You can pay your tuition deposit here.

The University of Hartford has several new housing options for graduate students, including the recent renovation of existing housing, and future plans to renovate additional spaces. You can learn more about on-campus graduate housing options on our Graduate Student Experience webpage. Many of our graduate students also live off campus in the surrounding communities of West Hartford, Bloomfield and Hartford. Upon admission to the University, you will have the opportunity to connect with future classmates via a Facebook group which many of our students find helpful during their housing search process.

You should contact a representative from your program.  Most first time registrations are completed with a paper form that your advisor will complete and submit to the Center for Student Success (CSS).  Online registration is available with prior approval and a personal identification number (PIN) provided by your advisor. If you have your PIN, you can proceed to the Student Self-Service Center to register.

Cost of attendance relies upon many different variables. The cost of attendance does not depend on state of residency. Please visit our Tuition and Fees section for detailed cost information.

International Student Questions

You must receive one of the following:
  • A score of 80 (Internet-based test – iBT) or 550 (Paper-based test – PBT) or higher on the TOEFL test
  • A score of 6.5 overall on the IELTS test
  • A score of 58 or higher on the PTE test
  • A score of 110 combined or higher on the Duolingo test
  • Or you may apply for a waiver of language proficiency (see below FAQ)


You can qualify for the English Proficiency Waiver if you fit one of the following two categories: 
  • You are an International applicant whose native language is English (view definitions).
  • You are an International applicant holding a bachelor’s or master's degree from a country where the native language is English. 

If you believe that you meet one of these criteria, please email


Citizens of a majority native English-speaking country, and those who have earned a bachelor’s or master’s degree from a majority native English-speaking country, will have their English-proficiency test requirement waived. The University considers majority native English-speaking countries to include the following: 

  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Ireland
  • Australia
  • Jamaica
  • The Bahamas
  • New Zealand
  • Barbados
  • St. Kitts and Nevis
  • Belize
  • St. Lucia
  • Canada
  • St. Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Dominica
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Grenada
  • United Kingdom
  • Guyana
  • United States of America
International students who require a U.S. Student Visa (F-1) sponsored by the University of Hartford are required to have all materials submitted to the Graduate Admissions office prior to our official deadlines to ensure proper I-20 processing time.

We offer tuition scholarship only for a limited number of programs. Email us at to find out if we offer scholarships for the program in which you are interested.

Financial aid for international graduate students is currently available as Graduate Assistantships. These assistantships are administered by the individual departments throughout the University and vary in size and availability.

All foreign transcripts must be evaluated by a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) member, such as WES, IEE, or SpanTran. If the transcript is written in English, a course-by-course evaluation is still required, as grading systems vary from country to country. 

A Guarantor Statement is a document that indicates and verifies financial capability and responsibility. This form should be sent to the Graduate Admissions office via email at or mailed to us at the following address:

Graduate Admission, 2nd Floor, Suite 231
University of Hartford
200 Bloomfield Avenue
West Hartford, CT 06117, USA

Start your UHart journey today. Take the next step.