Office 365 is a Microsoft cloud-based service that allows you to use Microsoft Office applications as well as a cloud storage account (OneDrive for Business) on the web. Since the service is Internet-base, an Internet connection is required to use the services.
The University of Hartford offers Microsoft Office 365 free to all faculty, students, and staff. Services are available for online, desktop, and mobile use.
Office 365 includes downloadable applications for personal Windows and Mac computers, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and OneNote. It also includes multiple services in the cloud, accessed through the web using your University of Hartford username.
Most of these services can also be accessed through mobile apps on your mobile devices.
At work, in class, at the Library, at your favorite café, and even in the Park, stay connected to work, colleagues, and projects on all devices. The apps in Office 365 are optimized to work across all platforms, and the cloud-based storage means you can easily switch from one device to the next.
Share with people inside and outside your office with complete control of who can see and edit each file. Create, edit, and review files with others without the hassle of emailing documents around and losing track of the latest version. Easily add, respond to, and track comments on a document across your team and across campus.
Students working on assignments, faculty planning classes and research, and university staff will all find tools in Office 365 to save them time and make their lives easier. Use Planner to organize a team, assign tasks, and follow progress. Share documents through your personal OneDrive account. Use Delve to easily keep track of the work you and your peers are working on that you need to be part of.
Stay in Sync With The Latest Version
Office 365 syncs information across all your devices in real time. It’s up to date no matter what device is in your hand. And coming over the Winter break for faculty and staff, HawkMail will also be part of Office 365, syncing your emails and calendars across the full range of Office 365 tools.
Office 365 Set-up
To access your Office 365 Hawkmail from a web browser
- Open a browser and go to: Hawkmail
- At the Office 365 login use your email address firstname.lastname@example.org and password.
- Hit the blue “Sign in” button. You will be asked to set your Time Zone.
- Click on the “Mail” button to navigate to your email. Subsequent logins your email address will be in the big blue button. Hit it and you’ll be prompted for password only.
Set-up your iPhone or iPad for Office 365 E-mail
If you already have your hartford.edu account on your iDevice, start with 1, otherwise go to 2.
- Go to Settings/Mail/Accounts/Your Hawkmail Exchange/Account
- Scroll to bottom and select Delete Account
- Select Delete from My iPhone
- Go to Settings/Mail/Accounts/Add Account/Exchange
- Put in your email address (email@example.com)
- For Description put Hawkmail
- Select “Next”
- Put in your password
- Select “Next”
- If all is correct you will receive 3 check marks and automatically go to the next screen
- Keep Mail, Reminders, Contacts, Notes selected or GREEN
- Save (Top right)
- Go back to your Mail icon and open
- Browse to your Hawkmail mail and ensure all is well
To set-up your Office 365 e-mail account on an Android device
Android devices make it difficult to have one set of instructions for set-up due to the fact they are wildly varied in configuration from an operating system, service provider and hardware manufacturer standpoint. The best way to set these up would be to contact your smart phone provider for the appropriate instructions. Below is a set-up for Androids running the "Marshmellow" version of the OS (OS 6.0).
Android OS “Marshmallow” (OS 6.0)
- Go to your Gmail icon and open on the top left select the settings box.
- Scroll down towards the bottom and select “Settings”
- Select your Hawkmail account and scroll down to Server settings
- Click on Incoming settings and change Server to: outlook.office365.com
- Ensure the following are correct:
- Domain\Username field shows email address and password is stars
- Client certificate: None
- Mobile device ID: android and about 11 numbers
- Server is : outlook.office365.com
- Port is 443, Security type is SSL/TLS
- Click Done
- You will now be prompted to turn on device manager security. Read through the disclaimer and understand what you are reading.
- Hit Done. This should complete, then open your mail client
Computer and processor
- PC: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster x86-bit or x64-bit processor with SSE2 instruction set
- Mac: Intel processor
- PC: 2 GB RAM
- Mac: 4 GB RAM
- PC: 3.0 GB of available disk space
- Mac: 6 GB of available disk space. HFS+ hard disk format (also known as Mac OS Extended or HFS Plus)
- PC: 1280 x 800 screen resolution
- Mac: 1280 x 800 screen resolution
- PC: Graphics hardware acceleration requires a DirectX 10 graphics card.
- PC: Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7 Service Pack 1,
- Mac: Mac OS X 10.10 For the best experience, use the latest version of any operating system.
- The current or immediately previous version of Internet Explorer; the current version of Microsoft Edge, Safari, Chrome, or Firefox.
How do I access my Office 365 account?
To access your Office 365 account, open a web browser and go to Office 365 portal. Enter in your University of Hartford email and password. Office 365 accounts are only available to current students, faculty and staff. If you are graduating or separating from the university in any manner, it is strongly encouraged that you back up your data to another storage system.
What if I already have another Office 365 account, can I access it? How?
To access a personal Office 365 (Office 365 for Home) account, go to Microsoft sign in and login with the credentials used with creating that account.
What is my storage quota for OneDrive for Business?
You have 1 terabyte of storage in OneDrive for Business. If you choose to run the desktop synchronization tool, most campus computers will not have one terabyte of free space to be able to synchronize the full contents of your OneDrive for Business to the local drive.
What online applications are available?
The online applications that are available are: Exchange Email Online, Calendaring, Tasks, Excel Online, PowerPoint Online, OneNote Online, Delve, and OneDrive for Business
Can I download a full version of Microsoft Office to my personal laptop or desktop computer?
Yes, you can. Microsoft Office 2016 is available to download for your personal PC and Mac.
Am I limited to the number of installations of the full Office suite to personal devices?
You can install Office on up to 5 personal PCs or Macs, and 5 personal smartphones or tablets.
How do I install the 64 bit version of Office for systems that require the 64 bit version?
You can login to Office 365 portal.
Click Other Installs below the regular office install button. In the Version section, choose Advanced, and then select 64 bit and Install.
How do I save to OneDrive for Business using the desktop applications?
When ready to save, go to File, Save As and Select OneDrive – University of Hartford. The third option is OneDrive, which is for a personal OneDrive account. DO NOT SELECT the option for Sites – University of Hartford as this makes the document a public document.
Are my OneDrive for Business files backed up?
OneDrive for Business is not backed up; however, there is a recycle bin that holds deleted documents. All documents are permanently deleted from the Recycle Bin 93 days after being placed in the Recycle Bin. Recycle Bin files do count toward the quota usage of your OneDrive for Business account.
Is it safe to store UHart-specific documents to OneDrive for Business?
It is reasonably safe. Although there are some things to consider as far as what type of information you save. As mentioned, the files are not backed up. You do, however, have a window of time to recover files deleted if needed. OneDrive for Business is also a Microsoft cloud service, as a result the files are subject to their security measures, rather than University of Hartford, against data breaches. Last, since this is a cloud service you must have an Internet connection. If you are unable to access the Internet for any reason, you will not be able to access Office 365 or your OneDrive for Business files unless duplicates are locally saved.
Can I set up my H drive to sync with OneDrive for Business?
No, OneDrive for Business can only be set up to sync files from the local hard drive (C:). If you would like to set up syncing from a campus workstation, please contact the Service Desk for assistance.
If Office 365 is a Microsoft service, who would I contact if I experience an issue with my Office 365 account?
You will need to contact the Help Desk at 860.768.4357 or firstname.lastname@example.org. They will have the ability to help you or escalate issues to the appropriate source at Microsoft to solve the issue that you are experiencing.
Do I need to be connected to the Internet all the time to be able to use Office 365?
Even though users don’t need to be connected to the Internet all the time to use Office 365 ProPlus, users must connect to the Internet at least once every 30 days. This is so that the status of their Office 365 subscriptions can be checked. If users don’t connect within 30 days, Office 365 ProPlus goes into reduced functionality mode. After users connect to the Internet and their subscription status is verified, all the features of Office 365 ProPlus are available again.
For additional information, please contact the Help Desk at 860.768.4357 or email@example.com.