COVID-19 Binding Update:
Please see the updated instructions for submitting dissertations, doctoral essays, and theses for this semester (spring 2020). Check with your faculty advisor, department head, or Ben Ide if you have questions.
Publishing/Microfilming Submission Requirements
- Students do NOT need to submit an entire separate paper copy of their thesis, essay or dissertation specifically for the publishing/microfilming process. One of the two (2) paper copies submitted for binding and intended for library retention will be used for this purpose. See details for the binding process.
- Students DO need to submit an extra copy of their title page and abstract. These copies will not be returned to the student.
- Students MUST complete and sign pages 4 and 5 of the ProQuest/UMI Publishing Agreement Form.
- Students MUST pay for the publishing/microfilming service at the time of submission. Payment must be made via check or money order payable to “Proquest LLC.” We cannot accept cash or credit cards as payment for this service. The publishing/microfilming service fee is $65. Please note that this fee will be higher if you elect either or both of the optional services listed below.
Publishing/Microfilming Optional Services
ProQuest/UMI offers students the following two optional services. Please note that both of these optional services incur additional fees.
- Open Access Publishing is an option offered on page 4 of the ProQuest/UMI Publishing Agreement Form. This option allows anyone to access the student’s work online in full text. Students should note that by choosing this option they will not be eligible for royalties. This option incurs an additional fee of $95.
- Copyright Registration is available through ProQuest/UMI. To elect this option, students must fill out page 6 of the ProQuest/UMI Publishing Agreement Form. This option incurs an additional fee of $55.
Copyright Registration Information
- As stated above, students can request that ProQuest/UMI apply for copyright registration on their behalf by filling out an additional page within the ProQuest/UMI Publishing Agreement Form and paying the additional fee for this service.
- Alternatively, students may wish to apply for copyright registration on their own through the U.S. Copyright Office.
- Copyright registration is optional. Once the work is made available publicly, it is automatically copyrighted.
- Questions regarding copyright should be addressed to ProQuest/UMI, the U.S. Copyright Office, or faculty advisors. Library staff can not advise students whether or not to register their work for copyright
Office Hours and Location
Theses, essays, and dissertations that meet all library and departmental requirements should be brought to Melanee Van Haelen at Mortensen Library's Resource and Metadata Services Department.
- The Metadata Services Department is on the lower level of the library and is the third door on the right at the bottom of the stairs.
- Office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday–Friday.
- If you can not stop by during regularly scheduled hours, contact Melanee Van Haelen at 860.768.5950 or email@example.com to schedule a more convenient time.
Contact Melanee Van Haelen for additional information.