Student Academic Resources

The College of Education, Nursing and Health Professions (ENHP) offers a number of resources to serve the academic needs of students considering or enrolled in programs within our college.

We coordinate student events including freshman orientation and commencement, maintain official academic student records and program evaluations, answer student questions, address student needs, and help facilitate various academic processes.

For assistance with academic questions, your first point of contact is your faculty advisor. If your advisor is unable to answer your questions, you may also contact a staff member in the ENHP Dean's Office:  

Stefanie Sanchez

Associate Dean for Academic Affairs

Hillyer 218




Melissa Trinks

Collegiate Manager of Student Services and Data

Hillyer 252




Frequently Asked Questions

In order to change/add major or minor, students must print and complete the change of curriculum status form. Students should first obtain their current major advisor's signature, acknowledging that the advisor is aware of the desired change(s). Students should then get the department chair's signature of the major/minor they desire to change to or add.  Once these signatures have been obtained, the form should be returned to Dr. Stefanie Sanchez in Hillyer 218.

For information about your program, including the specific academic requirements for your degree, please reference the Undergraduate Catalog to access ENHP programs. The bulletin is updated each academic year and lists each undergraduate major, including program guidelines, academic requirements, required courses and descriptions of those courses.

Each semester, advisors are given a list of their advisees' personal identification numbers (PINs) for registration. PINs enable students to register online during the advanced registration period. Students are required to meet with their academic advisors to discuss course selection, potential minors/double majors, as well as other academic factors before obtaining their PIN from their advisor. At times other than advance registration, students will need to register with hardcopy paper forms at the Student Academic Services Center (SASC).

To add or drop a class after advance registration and after the first day of classes, a student will need to fill out a hardcopy paper add/drop form and obtain their advisor's signature. For any class additions after the 10th day of classes, students will also need to obtain the academic dean's signature. Please see Dr. Stefanie Sanchez, Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, in Hillyer 218.

Students must fill out a permit for transfer credits form and list the courses they intend to take at the other institution. The completed form, along with a printed course description of the class, should be taken to the transfer department in the undergraduate admissions office in Bates House, where the transfer evaluator will approve or deny the choice(s). Students then need to take approved forms to Dr. Stefanie Sanchez in Hillyer 218, where it will be signed for departmental approval. The student must then return the form to the transfer department in the admissions office.

Please remember that any courses that are transferred in will not be factored into any GPA calculations and will only count towards the credit hour total.

It is highly recommended that students maintain consistent knowledge of their grade point average (GPA) during each academic semester.

Grade Grade Points
A 4.00
A- 3.67
B+ 3.33
B 3.00
B- 2.67
C+ 2.33
C 2.00
C- 1.67
D+ 1.33
D 1.00
F 0.00

The grade point average is obtained by multiplying academic credits by grade point value for the grade assigned in each course, and dividing the sum of the grade points by the total number of academic credits attempted. Note: Courses marked NG, W, P, NP, or I are not included in the calculation of the GPA.  Here is an example:

Course Grade Credits Grade Point
Course 1 A- 3 3.67
Course 2 B+ 3 3.33
Course 3 B- 3 2.67

Multiply credits by grade points:

3 x 3.67 = 11.01
3 x 3.33 = 9.99
3 x 2.67 = 8.01

Add all Grade Point Totals:

11.01 + 9.99 + 8.01 = 29.01

Add all credits:

3 + 3 + 3 = 9

Divide Grade Point Total by Credit Total:

29.01 / 9 = 3.22

GPA = 3.22

If an undergraduate student is passing a course and is unable to complete the course due to serious illness or events that makes it impossible to continue, the student may ask the professor for an "incomplete" in the course. An incomplete is specifically prohibited in the case of a student's heavy workload or the pressure of other responsibilities of the student. If the instructor agrees that an incomplete is warranted, the instructor and student will establish an agreement for the completion of incomplete coursework. If a student in residence does not complete the work and does not have a grade assigned by the end of the next regular semester, they will receive the mandatory grade of "F."

At the University of Hartford, students may repeat any course one time in an effort to improve their GPA. The most recent grade for a course (not the highest grade) is factored into the GPA. Please note that repeating a course does not add to earned credits; a student only earns credit for a course once. Also, repeating a course does not remove the previous grade from the transcript. The previous grade is simply excluded from the GPA calculation.

If a student does not maintain satisfactory academic progress, the student will be placed on academic probation (with the exception of first semester freshmen, who receive a freshman warning letter).

A student can be placed on academic probation for not maintaining the appropriate GPA for the amount of credits earned, passed or failed, or for not completing the appropriate number of credits based on the number of semesters they have attended the university.

If the issue(s) are not resolved by the end of the following semester, a student may possibly be removed from degree candidacy, meaning they will be allowed to take classes at the University but will not be enrolled in a specific degree program. Furthermore, a student will only be allowed to enroll for part-time status. This will impact housing and existing financial aid packages. The student is therefore at risk for being academically dismissed from the University.

Students may elect to take one class per semester on a pass/no pass basis. In addition, any course that is required for the major may be switched from a letter grade to pass/no pass; however, the course will then need to be repeated for a letter grade.

All courses required for a major or minor must be taken for a letter grade to earn credit towards a degree.

If a student is contemplating changing to the pass/no pass option, they should first consult the instructor. Each instructor may set the letter grade in their syllabus as to what they consider a "pass." As an example, it is possible that a professor may require a C or better for the grade of "pass." However, even the grade of D-, though damaging to a student's GPA, will still allow the course to count towards degree completion. Therefore, if a student's GPA can handle the negative impact and the student does not want to repeat the course, keeping the letter grade results in a greater chance that the student will earn credit for the course. Students should be sure to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of grade changes to be sure they are making a well-informed decision.

Changing the grade option requires completion of the Registration/Add/Drop form and the advisor's signature. The last day to change the grade option (letter grade, pass/no pass, or audit) is the last day of the 10th week of the semester. Changing the grade option after this deadline will depend upon the student providing a credible explanation of circumstances beyond their control (such as documented illness and family emergencies). The academic dean makes the final decision and signs the form.

A student may also elect to "audit" a course. However, auditing a course confers no academic credit towards a degree.

A student may request to take a leave of absence for a maximum of two semesters and remain on active status. To do this, the student must register for active status (on a standard registration form) and obtain the signatures of the advisor and associate dean for academic affairs in the College of Education, Nursing and Health Professions.

Alternatively, the advisor can initiate the process if a student contacts the advisor in writing or through e-mail from a University of Hartford account.

If a student does not register for a semester and does not request active status, the student will have to apply for re-admission upon returning to the University.

A student who is voluntarily withdrawing from the University should withdraw from all courses, if currently enrolled, and contact the Student Administrative Services Center (SASC) in writing or by e-mail from a University of Hartford account.

A tuition refund, if applicable, for a student who is voluntarily withdrawing is based on the date of withdrawal. See the current academic calendar in the bulletin of classes for specifics.

Any student seeking to return to the University should contact the Admissions Office. Students who are reapplying to the University under the Fresh Start program need to re-apply through admissions and prepare a letter of intent for the ENHP Academic Standing Committee.

If students are having academic difficulties in one or more of your courses, you are first encouraged to speak with your course instructor and program advisor. Departmental tutoring, the Reading and Writing Center, and the Office of Student Success are just a few examples of academic resources available for students here at the University.

For additional student resources and support provided by the University, visit Academic Support on the University website.

Start your UHart journey today. Take the next step.