College of Arts and Sciences
MS in Organizational Psychology
Today’s leaders and managers need to know how to promote teamwork, manage transitions, and restructure organizations.
Our Master of Science in Organizational Psychology (MSOP) program gives you a theoretical framework in organizational behavior and the opportunity to improve your skills in research design, data collection and analysis, communication, facilitation, and interpersonal, group, and organizational issues.
Our 100% online program was recently named by TheBestSchools.org as one of the top online Master's in Organizational Psychology Programs in the nation!
About the Program
The integration of theory and practice in our MSOP program prepares you to lead, manage, and/or consult with dynamic and diverse organizations operating in a global environment. Courses are taken in the Department of Psychology, School of Communication, and Barney School of Business, students develop unique analytical skills and accumulate knowledge from the differing perspectives of these schools of thought. The variety of electives offered, including courses in Education and Nursing, enables you to tailor your graduate experience to your individual and professional needs.
The program offers:
- A strong foundation for students who intend to continue on for further graduate work in any area of psychology
- Solid training and internship opportunities for students who wish to obtain a terminal master’s degree and apply their acquired skills in various work setting
- An opportunity for non-psychologist professionals who wish to become more knowledgeable about the application of psychology to their professional interests.
- The Organizational Psychology program may be completed on either a full- or part-time basis; as well as a 100 percent online option. All face-to-face courses are offered in the evening.
- We also offer a 100 percent online MSOP program option.
The online application process is easy and convenient—and you can begin from any web-enabled device.
The online program admits new students in fall, spring, and summer. Students are admitted in the on-campus program once a year, in the fall semester. Review of applications for the fall semester begins around February 15 and continues until the program is full.
The following is required for admission to the MSOP program:
- An online application
- A non-refundable application fee of $50.00 (to be paid online)
- Official transcripts for all collegiate level coursework forwarded to the University of Hartford
- A letter of intent as specified in the online application
- Three Letters of Recommendation as specified in the online application
- For more information about requirements and deadlines, visit Graduate Admission
The Organizational Psychology program is a 36-credit program: five required courses (15 credits, including either capstone project or internship), no more than two electives in General Psychology (0-6 credits), and two additional electives in Organizational Studies (0-6 credits).
For more information, and to see a complete list of degree requirements, visit the Course Catalog.
You must complete the following four courses, as well as an internship or capstone project:
- Introduction to Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- Personnel Psychology
- Experimental Design
- Advanced Research Methods
The Internship Track requires eleven courses plus a three-credit practicum course. This option is provided for those students who wish to obtain practical experience in an organizational setting.
The Capstone Track requires eleven courses plus a three-credit capstone course. This option should be seriously considered by students who are working full-time and who wish to apply organizational material in their current job settings.
You must complete at least five electives in organizational studies (15-21 credits); and no more than two electives in general psychology (6 credits). Examples include:
- Teams in Organizations
- Introduction to Workplace Training Program Design and Effectiveness
- Leadership: Theory and Practice
- Contemporary Studies in Psychology
- Learning: Principles, Theories, and Application
Master of Science in Organizational Psychology students will:
- Become proficient in using the scientific method to critically review social science research literature.
- Successfully integrate theory and practice as applied to the organizational science in the workplace.
- Accumulate knowledge from different scientific disciplines.
- Develop in-depth knowledge in at least one current topic in organizational psychology, including, but not limited to work motivation, emotional intelligence, diversity in the workplace, and creativity in organizations.
- Know and understand the scope and methods of organizational psychology and its practical application in the workplace.
- Produce writing that meets high-quality academic standards of presentation, organization, documentation, analysis, and substance.
Graduate students in the Organizational Psychology Program are charged the per-credit-hour rate. Visit our Tuition and Fees page for our current information.
Student financial assistance for graduate and professional students through the Office of Admission and Student Financial Assistance at the University of Hartford.
Frequently Asked Questions
The University offers three opportunities a year to begin the online MSOP program—each fall, spring, and summer semester. The application process is easy and convenient—and you can begin from any computer. We're ready to answer your questions and provide assistance to get you started, including application deadlines and start dates. Contact an admission counselor today at 860.384.7494 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Online MSOP ProgramConvenience
Earning an online MS in Organizational Psychology is the ideal way to advance your career from the comfort of your home or office. The program is built around your busy life in an engaging, vibrant, and diverse social network of motivated peers—with a small cohort size—aimed at keeping your network manageable and beneficial. To simplify your path to earning your master’s degree, there are no required class or login times. With our fully online educational model, you can take courses at your convenience, moving through the program at a pace that fits your needs rather than on a set schedule. With three cohorts starting each year, students can begin the program when it is most convenient for them.
Under the guidance of faculty members trained in industrial and organizational psychology who publish in these disciplines and have a variety of field experience, students are prepared for a career in organizational psychology, or related fields, with the necessary foundational skills. As a traditional, not-for-profit institution chartered in 1957, we are regionally accredited by the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE) and the Commission on Institutions of Higher Education (CIHE).
Get what you want out of the program. Our required and elective courses provide you with experience and training in organizational psychology centered around real-life, professional applications of the issues presented. Ultimately, as the program expands, you can take courses that will prepare you for your personalized career goals. Go at your own pace—one or two classes at a time—to achieve your degree when you need it.
While you cannot put a price tag on convenience and flexibility, with our affordable online MSOP program at the University of Hartford, you can obtain a quality education and master’s degree while completing your personal and professional goals. View our competitively priced tuition rates
Required courses include:(15 credits)
Introduction to Industrial/Organizational Psychology
Advanced Research Methods
Electives (21 credits)
Admission to the program include:
- A bachelor's degree (regional or national accreditation) in any field, related field preferred
- No required minimum undergraduate GPA required but it is a factor in the admission decision, 2.5 GPA or higher preferred.
- Request more information about our online MSOP program.